Recommend an alternative to Micromatic Regulator Seat Tool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Specifically I am talking about this thing:

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/tools-accessories-pid-741-082.html

I am looking for something that doesn't cost $97. I am taking apart a regulator and have discovered that I cannot remove the regulator seat. If you are not familiar with these premium regulators, the seat is a little threaded stainless steel ring that screws into the body. On the top, it has a depression cut into opposite sides that this tool fits into. You cannot just put a big phillips head (or similar) across the ring because there is a valve in the way.

I tried using a pair of needle-nose pliers adjusted such that the tips sat in the little depressions in the seat to try and unscrew it, but it wouldn't budge. So at this point I'd like any suggestions that do not involve a $97 single-purpose tool.

It's huge it's like 12" long it's to remove ball joints. It would NOT fit inside a regulator

Has anyone ever found an alternative to this tool? I have collected a lot of nifty tools over the years, but I won't buy a hundred dollar screwdriver.

I'm sure Micromatic knows this... it's cheaper for a consumer to buy a new replacement regulator TWICE than to buy the parts and their tool.

Dave

Back