This hobby is fun but...liver damage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Seriously. between beer and apfelwein I have several drinks a day. I won't even go to what happens on the weekends. yeah yeah moderation but who the hell can do that with all this chilled goodness on hand.

This hobby is a little too effective and removes temptation completely.

Alcoholism? I think many in this hobby are past that point. I'm more concerned about the liver. Being 28 and looking at the last 10 years of drinking for me, I'm starting to wonder how long this body of mine can process **** before it calls for a time out. Looking at this from an engineering standpoint, everything has a process cycles lifetime--and the body is definitely no exception. Meh. :(

If you think too hard about it, your will get hair on the inside of your palms

well i would be drinking beers everyday anyway......

this way it's much cheaper, and the beer is mo better

You know, worrying about every little thing isnt good for you either

Ah like smokers who don't think about it and magically avoid cardiovascular disease...:cross:

Liver function is over-rated. Personally, I am looking forward to carrying mine in a fanny pack as long as there is a pocket for my dentures.:drunk:

The liver is pretty darn amazing, actually. it's the only organ with have that has genuine regeneration properties. There are a lot of studies out there on what it takes to damage the liver. I read one that concluded you have to be drinking the equivalent of a pint of whiskey a day on a regular basis before you start inflicting real damage. Of course, others recommend not exceeding six drinks a day.

I try to take a "liver holiday" about one day a week, too. I've heard a day or two a week without drinking is beneficial.

If you are seriously worried about it, you know what you have to do.

I've been drinking a bit more beer than usual since I started brewing again, but nothing excessive. One or two, maybe 2 or 3 days a week, two or three on Friday or Saturday.

Remember, the optimum healthy alcohol consumption level for men is two drinks a day. I'm not quite even at that level, so no worries.

I actually drink less since I started this hobby. Before I would swill back a 6 pack of BMC almost on a daily basis. Now I come home have a beer or two through the course of the evening and thats about it.

He says goodnight Po Po**

2947226.jpg

all sounds the same when your drunk I guess

Just limit yourself to Friday and Saturday nights. Drink less on Saturday than you do on Friday. That's a good compromise, and it'll probably limit your weight gain as well.

Just limit yourself to Friday and Saturday nights. Drink less on Saturday than you do on Friday. That's a good compromise, and it'll probably limit your weight gain as well.

weight gain (among other things) is the only reason recently that I've been trying to be good.

As a serious response, I'd say that the part that concerns me is in knowing exactly how much alcohol one can drink before you're risking liver damage.

The prevailing advice seems to be that you should keep alcohol consumption down to 2 drinks a day.

At the same time, that threshold appears to be somewhat in dispute, and differs widely between the sexes. Some recommendations go as high as 6 drinks a day for men and as low as 1 drink a day for women.

Adding to this dilemma is the fact that some drugs can really magnify the problems. For instance, do some heavy drinking and take a strong NSAID like Naproxen and you're really going to do some damage.

Its scary, that's for sure. I drink beer because I love it, but I don't love it enough to let it kill me.

As a serious response, I'd say that the part that concerns me is in knowing exactly how much alcohol one can drink before you're risking liver damage.

The prevailing advice seems to be that you should keep alcohol consumption down to 2 drinks a day.

At the same time, that threshold appears to be somewhat in dispute, and differs widely between the sexes. Some recommendations go as high as 6 drinks a day for men and as low as 1 drink a day for women.

Adding to this dilemma is the fact that some drugs can really magnify the problems. For instance, do some heavy drinking and take a strong NSAID like Naproxen and you're really going to do some damage.

Its scary, that's for sure. I drink beer because I love it, but I don't love it enough to let it kill me.

On a serious sarcastic note, as a fellow AACo resident, our county's initials say it all, we are a county of drunks, you are exempt from these effects of alcohol on your liver

Indeed, there is an issue. Especially with mixing of meds and alcohol, it can be devastating. I drink only 1 drink a day, usually a liter of grain alcohol :D (j/k obviously, but I am making a point). If you have 2 12 oz milds vs. 2 12 oz Barley Wines there is a difference. For me it is roughly 1 or 2 16 oz. mugs with ~4.5% beer per day. Depends though. I don't binge and sometimes I don't even have any. I make sure from time to time I don't drink on purpose just to see where my body is at.

Livers can be replaced (I'm getting my next one on ebay) A lifetime of partaking in the beautiful art of beer drinking cannot.

This is the way I see it.....

You can concern yourself over this, or you can't. I have family who have been drinking a 12 pack a night and swill whiskey likes its going out of style.....they are 90+ years old and still going strong. I also have family who abstained from absolutely everything (devout mormon) and they passed away from a long fight with cancer.

Enjoy your life and don't worry about BS like whether you drink too much or not.

You can concern yourself over this, or you can't. I have family who have been drinking a 12 pack a night and swill whiskey likes its going out of style.....they are 90+ years old and still going strong. I also have family who abstained from absolutely everything (devout mormon) and they passed away from a long fight with cancer.

Enjoy your life and don't worry about BS like whether you drink too much or not.

What he said

I think that the stress caused by worrying does more liver damage than drinking. Therefore, people worrying about liver damage should only have 1 beer a day, the rest of us get 3!

Take Liv52 or Milk Thistle (at least 800mg extract per day)

Ive had my values checked and they always turn out well below what they should

The liver is one of the fastest "healing" organs in the body. This is why it's recommended to take a day or two off here and there, especially with not-so-moderate consumption. But it's not just the liver to think about. Excess alcohol consumption can lead to high blood pressure and other problems. I generally keep things moderate, because I plan to enjoy beer for a long time to come.:mug:

I'm not too worried. I have a HUGE liver. So if a little bit of it gets sacrificed, well, so be it.

Lol. You know I used to play this game online...what the heck was the name of that?....can't recall but it was mostly text based, and funny as anything. At any rate you could get the 'Iron Liver' in the game which enabled you to drink more. :D

I second what he said

Use me as a Guinea PIg. 22 years of heavy beer drinking & no noticeable liver damage yet. Go liver Go!

Seriously. between beer and apfelwein I have several drinks a day. I won't even go to what happens on the weekends. yeah yeah moderation but who the hell can do that with all this chilled goodness on hand.

This hobby is a little too effective and removes temptation completely.

Alcoholism? I think many in this hobby are past that point. I'm more concerned about the liver. Being 28 and looking at the last 10 years of drinking for me, I'm starting to wonder how long this body of mine can process **** before it calls for a time out. Looking at this from an engineering standpoint, everything has a process cycles lifetime--and the body is definitely no exception. Meh. :(

Back