Old Speckled Hen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone tried this? I first had it on tap at an "Irish" pub in Japan(!). It's brewed by Moreland in the UK. The stuff was excellent....among my favorites.

So after coming back to the states, I was thrilled to find it locally. I bought a couple sixers and was in heaven. A couple weeks later I picked up some more, and it tasted like crap! Very bitter smell and flavor. I recommended the stuff to my buddy (orrelse), and he picked some up about the time I got the bad stuff, and he said the same thing. He told me my favorite beer sucks. :D

The stuff comes in clear bottles, which I figured was the culprit (very nice bottles, BTW). Orrelse found some in a pint can, and said it tasted the same. I can't figure out what the deal is, unless I just happened to get lucky and got some nice fresh stuff, and everything else since has been too old.

Anyone else tried it, and if so, what did you think? I'm hoping it's a freshness issue, and not my taste buds going on the fritz!

Hi Speckled Hen taster, while i prefer the canned variety, much more like a hand pulled style, the bottle is good too, at least when i have tried it. it is probable you had some which was not kept well. good to know you have not given up on this beer,
mrgchis

It's available here at several stores in mid-Michigan. It's been awesome in the bottle every time I've had it. I liked it so much I had to search for clone recipes and brewed it up this weekend.

Back