Brettanomyces Bruxellensis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Ok I have a two packages of this coming in this week. One is going into my orval clone. Trying to think of what to do with the other. I was thinking of doing an all brett beer with it, but not too sure what the results would be. Another idea is to add it into a trippel at the end of fermentation. Anyone have any thoughts on what to do with it? Im pretty much open for what ever.

As always thanks for any advice or ideas.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I think an all brett beer should be named "4"

I would do an all brett beer. Personally, Brettanomyces Bruxellensis is my favorite for all brett beers.
Something simple:
70% Pils
20% Wheat
5% CaraMunich? CaraVienna?
5% Sour(Acid) Malt
A little bit of hops. Don't aerate, just pitch and wait a couple of months.

Iordz said:
I would do an all brett beer. Personally, Brettanomyces Bruxellensis is my favorite for all brett beers.
Something simple:
70% Pils
20% Wheat
5% CaraMunich? CaraVienna?
5% Sour(Acid) Malt
A little bit of hops. Don't aerate, just pitch and wait a couple of months.

Cool thanks for that. What OG should I shoot for? I was thinking around 1.050 or soo. Im thinking some Fuggles and/or goldings would be good for hops. Also would you use a starter?

NitrouStang96- Why 4?

I think 1.050 would be good, you could even go to 1.060. I would choose EKG over Fuggles, however both hops make good choices. I would not use a starter, just pitch and let the brett do it's business. Like I said, I would not aerate either, but if you want to try it go ahead. Brettanomyces behaves very differently when aerated, the beer comes out much cleaner, without a lot of "funkiness." It might be interesting to split the batch and try both methods, then taste the difference and possibly blend the two.

Ryanh1801 said:
NitrouStang96- Why 4?
:off: You are obviously not an NFL fan. Brett Favre is the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers and wears a #4 jersey.

Craig

CBBaron said:
:off: You are obviously not an NFL fan. Brett Favre is the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers and wears a #4 jersey.

Craig

Ahh I see. Was not ever thinking in those terms.

http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com/2007/09/bourbon-brett-cherry-dark-belgian.html
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50418

I think doing an all Brett beer would be good, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't come out how you expect. Listen to the basicbrewingradio.com segment on offbeat yeast( the second part ) to see how Brett reacts to pitching rates, aeration, temps, etc. From my limited experience doing these, Brett is very different from 'normal' yeast. It ferments well, but the flavors are more impacted by how you handle it. The guys on the babblebelt advocate growing BIG starters before using Brett in a solo ferment. As Iordz mentioned you may want to not oxygenate so you get more Brett character. Basically what I'm saying is that its not 'fall off a log' easy to get a great Brett beer your first try. IMHO.

The links above used a couple Brett strains, but you could easily just use Brett B. I had Mike's and it is one of the best beers I've had. I'm brewing it now, and will be using sweet and sour cherries. His beer only used sweet, which you can buy frozen in the grocery store.
I think it'd be great if you did an all Brett beer, to add your own experiences to the pool. Then we'd all grow in our knowledge of what the best techniques for brewing these beers are. But it may not come out like you expect, but at least then you/we'd know not to do x-y-z like you did, and to try other methods. Good luck, whichever way you go I'm excited you're trying this! :mug:

Iordz said:
I think 1.050 would be good, you could even go to 1.060. I would choose EKG over Fuggles, however both hops make good choices. I would not use a starter, just pitch and let the brett do it's business. Like I said, I would not aerate either, but if you want to try it go ahead. Brettanomyces behaves very differently when aerated, the beer comes out much cleaner, without a lot of "funkiness." It might be interesting to split the batch and try both methods, then taste the difference and possibly blend the two.

Alright, sounds good. Thanks for the advice. Ill be sure to post up the results. :mug:

landhoney said:
http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com/2007/09/bourbon-brett-cherry-dark-belgian.html
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50418

I think doing an all Brett beer would be good, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't come out how you expect. Listen to the basicbrewingradio.com segment on offbeat yeast( the second part ) to see how Brett reacts to pitching rates, aeration, temps, etc. From my limited experience doing these, Brett is very different from 'normal' yeast. It ferments well, but the flavors are more impacted by how you handle it. The guys on the babblebelt advocate growing BIG starters before using Brett in a solo ferment. As Iordz mentioned you may want to not oxygenate so you get more Brett character. Basically what I'm saying is that its not 'fall off a log' easy to get a great Brett beer your first try. IMHO.

The links above used a couple Brett strains, but you could easily just use Brett B. I had Mike's and it is one of the best beers I've had. I'm brewing it now, and will be using sweet and sour cherries. His beer only used sweet, which you can buy frozen in the grocery store.
I think it'd be great if you did an all Brett beer, to add your own experiences to the pool. Then we'd all grow in our knowledge of what the best techniques for brewing these beers are. But it may not come out like you expect, but at least then you/we'd know not to do x-y-z like you did, and to try other methods. Good luck, whichever way you go I'm excited you're trying this! :mug:

I have been eyeing the recipe ever since you posted it in the chat. I think for this one Ill go ahead and do a simple recipe and see how it does. Like you said, I more or less want to learn more about the brett stuff, if it turns out good thats an added bonus.

OK this is what I got.
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Brett B
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Dark Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal