Oatmeal Stout Flapjack Breakfast Stout (Chocolate-Coffee-Oatmeal-Maple Imperial Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP004 Irish Ale / Wyeast 1084
Yeast Starter
~1.5L
Batch Size (Gallons)
5gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
46 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
~3wks @ 64-66
Tasting Notes
roasty, full bodied, smooth, smells like a sticky stack of pancakes under your nose
This is the end result of me trying to make something in the same vein as Founder's Breakfast stout. It was surprisingly good and smooth at a young age. No detectable alcohol bite under all the maple syrupy goodness. Now it's about 6 months old and I can barely bring myself to crack open the remaining bottles.

===============================================
---Fermentables---
11.0lb / 69% US 2-row
1.5lb / 9% Rolled Oats
0.5lb / 3% Oven Toasted Oats
0.5lb / 3% Coffee Malt
0.75lb / 5% Chocolate
0.375lb / 2% Carafa III dehusked
0.375lb / 2% Roasted Barley
1.0lb / 6% Maple Syrup @2-3 days after pitching

---HOPS---
@60min: 1 oz Cluster
@30min: 1 oz Willamette
@5min: 1 oz Willamette

---MISC---
@5min: 4oz Cocoa Powder
@7days: 4 oz Cacao Nibs & 2 Vanilla beans (I boiled both in ~150ml water for better extraction, cooled and tossed in)
@3-4 days before bottling: 4oz Whole Bean coffee

Mash at 154 for 60min
Optional: 10min mashout at 168F

60min boil

So for the coffee additions, I've tried 3 different things and this worked the best BY FAR. Tossing in grounds at flameout definitely gives the beer flavor, but too much astringent harshness. For me, a few days of cold-steeping coffee and then tossing into the fermentor definitely made it smoother, but it seems to gain more bite as the beer aged. Tossing in whole beans is where it's at, trust me. I was initially skeptical on the amount of flavor that could get through the shell, but I actually used less whole bean coffee than I did for cold steep and got way more flavor. I wouldn't worry about sanitation as long as you pick a quality product (likely to be cleaner) and get the beans straight from a factory-sealed bag. I recently made a Coffee Blond using this technique that turned out really well. Its like the opposite of a Black IPA in terms of appearance vs smell/taste.

Be sure to add the maple syrup right around high krausen to maximize how much maple character is retained. I originally planned on priming it with Maple Syrup too, but it had enough of that flavor going on at bottling. Just an idea if you aren't happy with the taste.

FYI, the beer software I've seen give Maple Syrup a ppg of 30. So its a lot less fermentable than honey or other syrups. That's why I left out any Crystal malts, the Maple Syrup gives enough sweetness. 1 lb of it will raise the OG/FG by about +0.006/0.002 respectively.

I would enjoy to know how this turns out

I've made it twice so far and its just as good as I could've hoped for. I wanted to get that good bold flavor without any alcohol bite like Founders is able to do but also get a decent Maple character. I figured adding the syrup cold side would help preserve and the aromatics. It totally worked and its nice and drinkable even less than a month old. It definitely does improve with time so stow some away.

So you add the maple at high krausen? This sounds like a strange question, , but how?

So you add the maple at high krausen? This sounds like a strange question, , but how?

I just pop the lid off the bucket and dump in the syrup. No stirring necessary. The fermentation is still vigorous so theres an upwelling that will distribute it up. Just be sure its a fresh sealed bottle of syrup

Is this for 5 gallons? I am limited by my apartment capacity and so I can only do 2.5 gallon AG batches.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just bought everything to brew this and realized there is no crystal malts to balance out all the roast. Is the maple syrup and vanilla enough for that?

Just bought everything to brew this and realized there is no crystal malts to balance out all the roast. Is the maple syrup and vanilla enough for that?

Yeah it is. Maple syrups fermentability is around that of crystal malts. It's not like sugar syrups. You can add a bit if you like, but I've found at this high OG, it gets cloying real quick

Sorry, I see you actually pointed that out at the end of the OP.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will be brewing this tomorrow.

I love Founders Breakfast Stout (just had it for the first time recently) and thought there are some decent maple stouts and porter to buy commercially I'd much rather brew my own.

I'll let ya know how it goes.

Did you toast your own oats for this recipe? If so, how much toast did you put on them?

Did you toast your own oats for this recipe? If so, how much toast did you put on them?

Yeah I just toast them in my oven. Works great for other alts too. I try to have 1lb or so of wheat rye oats and 2row toasted at any given time.

I usually toast 1.5lb at a time because that's how much fits evenly in my pan

Turn the oven to 350f and have an even layer of oats (can't see bottom of pan) and toast maybe 30-45min. It depends on how much you put in. I try to flip and move them around every 20 min or so. Eventually they should smell like an oatmeal cookie and barely be different by inspection.

I store mine in a paper bag that's clipped shut. I've read that helps absorb some if the harsher aromatics. But I've also read (and found from experience) unless you almost burn them, they are good to go as soon as they cool.

Brewed this yesterday. Used 1# less of 2row and didn't bother with the toasted oats. Hit 82% efficiency for a 1.072 OG. Will add the syrup tomorrow I think. No worries on sanitizing it-just straight from the bottle?

Also I used northern brewer hops for 60 and Willamete for 5. Total IBU 43 I think.
Fermentis s-04 yeast - starting bubbling away after just 7 hours!

Brewed this yesterday. Used 1# less of 2row and didn't bother with the toasted oats. Hit 82% efficiency for a 1.072 OG. Will add the syrup tomorrow I think. No worries on sanitizing it-just straight from the bottle?

Also I used northern brewer hops for 60 and Willamete for 5. Total IBU 43 I think.
Fermentis s-04 yeast - starting bubbling away after just 7 hours!

Yeah as long as its from a sealed bottle you're good. I try to add it when i see the krausen receding. And yeah i wouldnt give a second thought to the hops as long as they are typical stout/porter types. Hope it turns out well!

I brewed some last Saturday. Now it's the wanting game. After the 3 wks in the primary do you transfer it to a secondary or do you just bottle it after the 3 wks?

I just bottle in 3 weeks. I actually need to toss coffee beans in the one I got going now sometime tonight...

Just added the syrup, 3 days now since I brewed this. Almost to the minute actually!
Only thing is this seemed to ferment quite quickly- there was almost no krausen on top of the beer. I added the maple anyhow and upped the heat to 19*C on the fermenter. Used about 200 grams since I plan on priming with maple syrup as well.

Let me k ow if priming with the syrup works well. I intended to but ended up not doing it

Did you notice any odd smells after adding the maple syrup? I checked the gravity the other day and it had a atrong fussel/acetone smell and flavour. It was only 10 days in so it could be other things but it was pretty prominent.

Hmm I don't remember anything like that but also I didn't pay much attention to it once it passed 5 days. I only checked to make sure it started fermenting again once I added maple syrup. Hopefully.those smells are just any weird ingredients in the syrup escaping

Did you notice any odd smells after adding the maple syrup? I checked the gravity the other day and it had a atrong fussel/acetone smell and flavour. It was only 10 days in so it could be other things but it was pretty prominent.

I had that acetone problem occur in one batch years ago, and that **** was nasty, it happened to me in a high proof batch of hard cider, and it took months to get rid of it.
It was a 1 gallon batch, and I kept it in the fermenter with an airlock in the dark. Eventually due to the change in temperature, and the CO2 expanding and contracting the acetone was flushed.
If I were you, I would keep it in the fermenter as long as I could to help vent it out. The time shouldn't be a total loss,you are just giving it extra conditioning time, and a beer that big can really use it.

Hmm I don't remember anything like that but also I didn't pay much attention to it once it passed 5 days. I only checked to make sure it started fermenting again once I added maple syrup. Hopefully.those smells are just any weird ingredients in the syrup escaping

Ya, someone else mentioned it could just be the maple syrup. My temps are pretty good (under 68F/19C) and everything else went pretty smoothly. I may have under pitched a bit since I was a planning for 1.062 and got .072 for my OG, but other than that, I am not sure what the cause could be.

I had that acetone problem occur in one batch years ago, and that **** was nasty, it happened to me in a high proof batch of hard cider, and it took months to get rid of it.
It was a 1 gallon batch, and I kept it in the fermenter with an airlock in the dark. Eventually due to the change in temperature, and the CO2 expanding and contracting the acetone was flushed.
If I were you, I would keep it in the fermenter as long as I could to help vent it out. The time shouldn't be a total loss,you are just giving it extra conditioning time, and a beer that big can really use it.

Ya, I plan on leaving it 3 weeks total and see then. Hopefully whatever it is gets worked out during the primary.

Thanks.

Yeah I just toast them in my oven. Works great for other alts too. I try to have 1lb or so of wheat rye oats and 2row toasted at any given time.

I usually toast 1.5lb at a time because that's how much fits evenly in my pan

Turn the oven to 350f and have an even layer of oats (can't see bottom of pan) and toast maybe 30-45min. It depends on how much you put in. I try to flip and move them around every 20 min or so. Eventually they should smell like an oatmeal cookie and barely be different by inspection.

I store mine in a paper bag that's clipped shut. I've read that helps absorb some if the harsher aromatics. But I've also read (and found from experience) unless you almost burn them, they are good to go as soon as they cool.

So are you using the same rolled oats when you toast them? Also are the rolled oats just store bought like Quaker or is flaked the same thing from your LHBS?

Cheers!
Bobby

I just buy anything labled "quick" or "1-minute" oats. I;ve read those are easiest to use. You can use steel cut or whatever, but they require more mashing (which I guess wouln;t matter in my all-grain case anyway but whatever)

And yeah, I just toast a portion of the pounds of those oats I buy to have on hand because I love the flavor it adds

Update -

So I had a few people taste a sample at homebrew meeting and no one else (including a beer judge and a pro brewer) could taste/smell what I thought was fusels.

After 4 weeks in primary I kegged it last week with 160gram (like 6 oz?) of maple syrup.

As always I get a bit ansy waiting to taste it and tried it after a couple of days. Super MAPLE! I could barely taste the beer or the coffee. A week later (tonight) it's still not very carbed but not quite as sweet. I am hoping the sweetness dies down as the maple syrup dissolves into c02. Other than that it's tasting ok. We're having a party here on Saturday so I hope it's tasting decent (well, more decent) by then.

I can see myself making this again each fall/winter.

I'm going to try this later today but am going to sub in a few pounds of smoked malt in attempt to give it a smokey and hopefully a bit of bacon aroma/flavor. Gonna look around and pontificate for a bit on how much smoked malt to add, and would certainly be interested in what folks here think.

Cheers!

I'm going to try this later today but am going to sub in a few pounds of smoked malt in attempt to give it a smokey and hopefully a bit of bacon aroma/flavor. Gonna look around and pontificate for a bit on how much smoked malt to add, and would certainly be interested in what folks here think.

Cheers!

Just before this batch I did a smoked porter. I used about 4lbs of smoked malt in a grist bill of 13.5lbs. It had a nice smokey flavour at first but it faded after a few weeks. It was still noticeable, just a lot more subtle.

That's my only experience with smoked malt so hopefully that helps a bit.

Cheers!

I added a few drops of bacon flavoring to a 6 pack at bottling. Turned out well,, full breakfast experience. Though now you can't taste the bacon

I went ahead assertively with 6 pounds of cherry wood smoked malt. I feel with all the other flavors going on here, it will need this much to get a good smokey, bacon vibe. The "full breakfast experience" is what I am going for! I 'll report back how it comes out.

This is the end result of me trying to make something in the same vein as Founder's Breakfast stout. It was surprisingly good and smooth at a young age. No detectable alcohol bite under all the maple syrupy goodness. Now it's about 6 months old and I can barely bring myself to crack open the remaining bottles.

---Fermentables---
11.0lb / 69% US 2-row
1.5lb / 9% Rolled Oats
0.5lb / 3% Oven Toasted Oats
0.5lb / 3% Coffee Malt
0.75lb / 5% Chocolate
0.375lb / 2% Carafa III dehusked
0.375lb / 2% Roasted Barley
1.0lb / 6% Maple Syrup @2-3 days after pitching

---HOPS---
@60min: 1 oz Cluster
@30min: 1 oz Willamette
@5min: 1 oz Willamette

---MISC---
@5min: 4oz Cocoa Powder
@7days: 4 oz Cacao Nibs & 2 Vanilla beans (I boiled both in ~150ml water for better extraction, cooled and tossed in)
@3-4 days before bottling: 4oz Whole Bean coffee

Mash at 154 for 60min
Optional: 10min mashout at 168F

60min boil

So for the coffee additions, I've tried 3 different things and this worked the best BY FAR. Tossing in grounds at flameout definitely gives the beer flavor, but too much astringent harshness. For me, a few days of cold-steeping coffee and then tossing into the fermentor definitely made it smoother, but it seems to gain more bite as the beer aged. Tossing in whole beans is where it's at, trust me. I was initially skeptical on the amount of flavor that could get through the shell, but I actually used less whole bean coffee than I did for cold steep and got way more flavor. I wouldn't worry about sanitation as long as you pick a quality product (likely to be cleaner) and get the beans straight from a factory-sealed bag. I recently made a Coffee Blond using this technique that turned out really well. Its like the opposite of a Black IPA in terms of appearance vs smell/taste.

Be sure to add the maple syrup right around high krausen to maximize how much maple character is retained. I originally planned on priming it with Maple Syrup too, but it had enough of that flavor going on at bottling. Just an idea if you aren't happy with the taste.

FYI, the beer software I've seen give Maple Syrup a ppg of 30. So its a lot less fermentable than honey or other syrups. That's why I left out any Crystal malts, the Maple Syrup gives enough sweetness. 1 lb of it will raise the OG/FG by about +0.006/0.002 respectively.

What is your typical OG and FG?

How long do u typically leave it in the primary and do you transfer to secondary?

How long in primary/secondary before bottling?

I'll be brewing this in a few weeks. One question I have is on coffee addition. I just brewed a coffee vanilla porter in January. I add the coffee beans 4 days before bottling but it took about a month for the coffee flavor to balance out. I came out perfect but with time.
I'll be brewing this recipe about a month before a festival and I'm planning to bring some. If I add the coffee beans at secondary and remove them after 3-4 days, would the coffee flavor mellow out in time? It'd be exposed to the beer for the same amount of time, but earlier. Thoughts?

Update -

So I had a few people taste a sample at homebrew meeting and no one else (including a beer judge and a pro brewer) could taste/smell what I thought was fusels.

After 4 weeks in primary I kegged it last week with 160gram (like 6 oz?) of maple syrup.

As always I get a bit ansy waiting to taste it and tried it after a couple of days. Super MAPLE! I could barely taste the beer or the coffee. A week later (tonight) it's still not very carbed but not quite as sweet. I am hoping the sweetness dies down as the maple syrup dissolves into c02. Other than that it's tasting ok. We're having a party here on Saturday so I hope it's tasting decent (well, more decent) by then.

I can see myself making this again each fall/winter.

How did it turn out?

Turned out really well.

That party I had, there was about 10 or so real craft beer lovers and the keg was almost done by the end of the night.

What was left actually tasted better about 2 weeks later. the coffee came through after maple sweetness died down a bit and it ended up tasting damn near perfect.

So ya, next time I'd do it the same and make sure to give it enough time to let the flavours all blend. 4 weeks maybe.

I know you mentioned that you have had his young, and your maple flavor is on point. Have you tried Ot at 6 months or older? I am just curious as to how the maple flavor holds up with time?

I know you mentioned that you have had his young, and your maple flavor is on point. Have you tried Ot at 6 months or older? I am just curious as to how the maple flavor holds up with time?

Its definitely better 6 months or so down the road. The flavors meld together and its smooths out more like you'd expect. Id say at 6 months the maple is still there but its slowly shifting more towards coffee as time goes on

Brewed a favorite stout of mine on Monday and decided to incorporate maple as you suggested. Didn't have a krausen start to form until Wednesday, and waited until high krausen to throw in the maple. On Thursday, I noticed that the krausen had started to disappear and was completely gone by this morning (Saturday).

Is this normal? Did I somehow introduce an infection?

Brewed a favorite stout of mine on Monday and decided to incorporate maple as you suggested. Didn't have a krausen start to form until Wednesday, and waited until high krausen to throw in the maple. On Thursday, I noticed that the krausen had started to disappear and was completely gone by this morning (Saturday).

Is this normal? Did I somehow introduce an infection?

That doesnt seem too abnormal for krausen to subside after a few days. It probably mostly depends on the yeast strain and fermentation temps. If you fermented a bit warm, the whole process would take place quicker. I doubt you have an infection

Back