Corny Keg help needed! How to pry off a quick disconnect (gas) from the "out" post?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weissbiergirl

Reaction score
I went to my local beer & wine making store to get the gaskets replaced on my corny keg (ball lock) but unfortunately the gray quick disconnect was locked onto the "out" post by mistake (which was placed in the "in" location of the keg by mistake). Another proof that the in/out posts are misplaced on the keg, my picnic tap will NOT lock onto the other post, so that post is clearly the "in" post, and the quick disconnect is locked onto the "out" post and I can't get it off. Any advice? What tools can I use to pry it off without damaging it too much?

Do you mean hit with a hammer the part that you're supposed to be able to pull up to unlock/disconnect from the post (but won't pull up cause it's on the wrong post)? The bottom of it is the outlet post it's stuck onto and I don't think you mean to hit THAT with a hammer. I don't know if sticking a screwdriver in between the part that's supposed to lift up will do anything or what...

So, very old thread, but google got me here after I did this same dumb thing and couldn't for the life of me pull the damn qd off with vice grips. Tip to anyone reading this years later.... take a blow dryer to the QD for a few minutes - it came right off. Trapped honey blonde is now saved.:ban:

So, very old thread, but google got me here after I did this same dumb thing and couldn't for the life of me pull the damn qd off with vice grips. Tip to anyone reading this years later.... take a blow dryer to the QD for a few minutes - it came right off. Trapped honey blonde is now saved.:ban:

Good to know! I had the same thing happen a month ago, tried every tool I could think of and couldn't get the thing to budge. Had to suck it up and go buy a new post & QD. Will remember this one although I hope I don't do it again....

Remember the POST with the GROOVE cut on the flats is the GAS post. Connects to the GREY QD.

KP313C.jpg

Great tip! just a note though, if it got stuck and you got it off you probably need to pitch that QD. You had to warp it, even if every so slightly to get it on/off the incorrect post. Probably going to leak from this point forward, and with kegging luck, only intermittently so its a real PITA to find, figure out and fix. Maybe the hairdryer temp caused the plastic to expand and it will contract when the temp goes down but be leery. Still a great tip for removal though!

I use red o-rings for the gas side, black ones for the beer side. It helps me to not screw up again. And this is a major advantage pinlock kegs have, there's absolutely no way to put the hose on the wrong post.

I didn't know about the gorrves, thanks. I did know:

Black Beer
gas gray

and I have little "G" and "B" written on the left and right underside of the keezer lid so I can only see them when its open. I always glance up when I'm connecting hoses. Was accused of praying once, I just grinned :)

You just saved me!!! Just used the blow dryer and it worked great. Thank you!!! ❤️

☝🏽This totally saved me today and actually got me to open an account just so I could say thank you!!! ❤️

I also used some cool paint markers to make it obvious for druck me.

View attachment 835160
If you notice in the picture above, there’s a little dimple in the handle between the red “S” and the post. Not all kegs have them, but when they do, they’re on the gas side. I have used this in low-light connecting.

Back