2nd Brew recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaas66

Reaction score
Just recieved my kit and I have the simple brew kit from More Beer.. Still waiting for a burner and temp gauge in the mail and on the way.. I will be ready to go.

My question is I am still a newb and would like some recomendations on kits that are peoples favorites.. I was thinking of an american Pale Ale.

Thanks in advance...

I switched to AG after 2 kits and 1 PM. I really like the outcome so far. There just seems to be something a little more satisfying doing the AG.:ban:

For my first kit brew I did a Sam Smith Taddy Porter clone, it was really easy and turned out great, Ive been told that porters are a bit more forgiving.... I should still have the recipe at home, if you want I can post it when I get home tonight

any ale is generally a good beer for HB'ers to start out with. There top fermenting and forgiving in nature. (temps and all that jazz). Give some different ale styles a try and see what you like.

And porters are ales just dark and very good! I have a chocolate-nut-espresso porter fermenting right now. Cant wait to see how it comes out. :)

Good luck. My best advice brew what you like and experiment with stuff you can get your friends to drink as well :)

yeah no probs. This is just a first run experiement recipe. I'll be glad to share it after I've tasted it :)

Here's the recipe,
Makes 5 gallons
O.G. 1.053 F.G. 1.013
Yeast - wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

lb 55L british crystal malt
12oz british black malt
6oz chocolate malt
Steep for 1/2hr in 1.5 gal 150* water. Strain and sparge w/ 1 gal 150* water. Bring to a boil, total boil time is 60 minutes, then add

6lbs light DME
2.5 oz black treacle
8.5 hbu kent golding hops

45 minutes into boil add 1/2 oz fuggles hops

add 1/2oz kent goldings hops when you have 3minutes left in the boil

cool, strain, transfer to primary, bring total volume to 5 gallons, pitch yeast at 75-80*

the recipe called for the normal 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary but mine fermented steadily for about 10-11 days, and I racked to secondary at 13 days. I also left it in the secondary for an extra week and it came out really clear.

if you're bottling, prime w/ 1.25 cups light DME boiled in 2 cups of water

enjoy:mug:

I recommend the Liberty Cream ale kit from Midwest Supplies! It was my first kit (needs 2 more weeks in bottles). I tasted it along the way, and after just one week in the bottle, it already tastes great! Nice light amber color, noticeable but not over-powering hop profile, and is pretty clear already too! Good luck :mug:

Back