All Grain with only a 3 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbsdaddy

Reaction score
My LHBS said i could do All Grain with only a 3 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch???? is this possible. From searching the site it seems that everything says 5 or 6.5 gallon boils.

I really want to start AG but i dont have the big boling pot and dont want to buy one. I can boil up to 3.5 on my stove.

I searched the site but maybe i am missing something.

Thanks guys.

yeah, you can just top off with the right amount of water. There may be some hop utilization issues, since you'll be adding them to a higher gravity wort while boiling, but I'm not sure how much it'll affect you.

Boy, I am not sure, I am not sure if I would go less then 1 quart per pound on sach rest or not........it would be quite the thick mash and not so much of a sparge to speak of. The best solution is to get a pot.

You would have to use more grain to jack up your O.G. so your meet your intended O.G. when you water the batch down to reach 5g.

Then you would have to adjust hops for a partial boil.

Oh, I wasn't even thinking all grain. Ugh, that would be tougher.

I'd honestly recommend buying a cheap aluminum pot. I mean, you'll likely eventually upgrade anyhow, just do it now.

Why don't you just do a smaller batch? You don't need to do 5 gallons. Just adjust the recipe.

And plenty of people will say search for BIAB too. That'll work out for you as well

I'd say for all grain you'll find it difficult to have enough water to mash and sparge. No problem if you're doing extract though

Latest posts

Back