Another Stuck fermentation thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iron_city_ap

Reaction score
I got all set to bottle a batch this morning. Sanitized the bottles and equipment, got the priming sugar going, etc... when I finally measured my gravity and found that it looks to be stuck (1.020, same as about a week ago). I gave the beer a gentle stir, no splashing, got the cake mixed up in the beer pretty good, and put it back to ferment for another week. For what its worth in this thread, its been sitting at around 68-72 degrees.

My question is about the priming sugar. I let it boil out the full 20 minutes and its cooling right now. Would I be okay to put it in an airtight container in the fridge for a week, or should I re boil some new stuff when I finally bottle this stuff?

I'm thinking my bottles should be okay if I leave them upside down, but I'll probably re sanitize them anyhow.

Corn sugar and water are cheap. Just make up some new when you do go to bottle. No sense in risking a whole batch of beer just to save something like 25 cents. Although technically you could probably just re-boil it when it comes time to bottle and be fine. And definitely re-sanitize the bottles. If you use a wet sanitizer like starsan it is only effective while wet, so even though you can keep dust and stuff out of them by storing upside down you'd want to re-sanitize them anyway.

I'm not worried about the cost of it, I just didn't want to waste ingredients if possible, but if you think I'm better off just boiling up some new stuff, then its no big deal at all.

The sanitizer I use is a food grade glassware sanitizer that comes in tablets. Its pretty strong stuff. It recomends drying before using stuff you sanitize, which is the biggest pain with using it. 150 gallons worth runs about $9, so its no big deal to re sanitize anything either.

Its the AHS Noble pils. I don't have the setup to lager, so I'm using WLP#001 California Ale yeast. OG was 1.052 when I brewed on 6/14. Its sitting at 1.020 right now.

Latest posts

Back