Keezer: To Drill or Not to Drill.. Yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kplum

Reaction score
I have completed my Collar on my keezer.. It may be summer before I get my faucets... Should I go ahead and pre-drill my holes or wait until I get my faucets.. I do want to go ahead and hook up the picnic taps I have so I can start kegging as soon as I get my Controller, Co2 tank, and regulator come in.. (they are ordered so hopefully next week.) And If I do predrill what can I plug the holes with?

Thanks for the info..

Well, as you pointed out if you drill the holes now, you'll have holes in your keezer. If you're going to use it (and I also used picnic faucets until I got my Perlicks), you don't want holes in it. I would drill later.

You could pre drill the holes and run the picnic taps through the holes. You could use something to seal the holes up temporarily. Maybe some putty or something. It'll look awful, but at least you won't have to open the lid every time you want a beer.

What is the outside diameter of the picnic tap tubing? If it's larger than what you'll need for your faucet shanks then don't drill any holes, just wait until you get your faucets.

If it's smaller, then drill holes just big enough to get the tubing for the picnic taps through it. Make sure you drill these holes in the center of what will be the future holes for the permanent faucets. These holes should be fairly small and you can temporarily plug them with a nut and bolt and washers on each end.

I was thinking of drilling the holes and putting something to clogg them, or put some insulation behind on the inside of the wood for the collar.. The reason i am asking.. And No is the answer to the trick question.,. I just didnt want to have beer in the freezer, trying to drill holes for my faucets, getting saw dust everywhere inside my freezer.. Going to stain today and then put the collar together...

Not sure to use liquid nails or the silicone for tacking the collar on the freezer.. I am using 2x8's..

I will put the collar on then take some pics for you..;

I am going to paint in black.. a little FYI.. I will keep pictures posted as I get closer to the finished product.. Thanks for the help.. I do appreciate it..

I would just drill the holes for your taps and buy a couple of closed rubbers stoppers at your LHBS to plug the holes.

+1 for drilling now...

you arent gonna want to have clean that thing out of wood shavings once its up and running...closed rubber stoppers are the way to go

+1 for drilling now...

you arent gonna want to have clean that thing out of wood shavings once its up and running...closed rubber stoppers are the way to go

Sounds like that is what i am going to do..
Also there is a little lip on the top of the freezer, you can see it in the picture with the two kegs in it.. My collar sits on the metal and there is a tiny tiny gap inbetween the wood collar and that plastic strip.. I think i can clean it up and use some silicone to fit between the wood and the plastic to seal it up..

Has anyone had this problem before??

Back