If you died right now, how would you feel about your Brew Room?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guntr

Reaction score
OK, so the Keezer is built and first batch is kegged, time for a new project.

SWMBO doesn't like the brewing equipment all over the house and kitchen so has given me permission to turn a corner of our basement laundry room into brewing central.

Here's what I have to work with:
001%20-%20Brew%20Corner%20%28before%29%20-%20medium.JPG

My plan so far is to build counter in this corner with some kind of "hot box" underneath to keep my buckets and carboys at the proper temperature. Some storage shelves above, some hooks for hanging hoses, etc.

001a%20-%20Brew%20Corner%20%28before%29%20-%20medium.jpg

This is the closest sink which I definitely plan to change out. The previous owner had done god-knows-what to it. Probably going to install a new double laundry sink and split the tap two ways so I can have a dedicated line to my bottle/carboy/bucket/keg/beer glass washer. Possibly a third dedicated to a short piece of hose?

I'm not into AG brewing (yet), so I don't have to worry about all that extra equipment, but I will probably hook up a small hot-plate so I can even boil without running up stairs to the kitchen. Since I'm kegging, a bottling area is not a priority, but might end up bottling a few. I also think I'd like to cover the floor with something more forgiving to carboys than the bare concrete.

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions. As you can see it's pretty much a blank slate. I would love to see pics of everyone else's "Brewing Rooms" for ideas.

Looks like it has a fair amount of potential. As for floor coating I would look through some garage floor coatings. There are many that are relatively cheap, easier on the feet (and potential carboys, and make cleaning much easier.

I am a fan of your keezer in the other thread as well. Very nice.

Looks like it has a fair amount of potential. As for floor coating I would look through some garage floor coatings. There are many that are relatively cheap, easier on the feet (and potential carboys, and make cleaning much easier.

I am a fan of your keezer in the other thread as well. Very nice.

Thanks, part of me would like to do the same kind of transformation to this room, but unfortunately if I do too good of a job SWMBO will then want the rest of the house renovated and that will take away from brewing time. :p

Since you are planning on using electric for your boil, I would find a good sturdy hot plate. The one problem I had with electric was boil overs. I found it much harder to regulate the temperature on an electric stove compared to a gas stove.

A table with a heat resistant top would be a nice addition as would some shelves to store your gear on.

" If you died right now, how would you feel about your Brew Room?"

If you mean the garage where it's WAY too cold to brew right now.....meh. Can't work up an opinion one way or another. Most of the time, it's a garage. Some of the time, it's a brewery.
But that reminds me- I've got to drive into town later, so I'd better shower and put on clean underwear. Just in case, y'know?

instead of getting a hotplate, why not just build a couple 120 vac heatsticks for electric boiling? What sort of electric service do you have in your basement? If you have 2 separate 15 or 20 amp circuits I think you could get away with running 2 1500 or 2000 watt heat sticks in your boil kettle. Probably cheaper than a hotplate too?

Search for heatstick on this forum if you don't know what I'm talking about.

If I die...SWMBO has strict instructions that visitation is to take place IN my brewshop. Seven taps, 200+ bottles of beer. TV. Stereo. Some broken down furniture for relaxation.

Yep...that's where I want to be laid..............
out. :D

If I die...SWMBO has strict instructions that visitation is to take place IN my brewshop. Seven taps, 200+ bottles of beer. TV. Stereo. Some broken down furniture for relaxation.

Yep...that's where I want to be laid..............
out. :D

I couldn't agree more!

I transformed (still transforming) a portion of my basement too, and I did the epoxy garage coating on the floor-- if I had to do it all over again, I would not hesitate for one second. It is great!

i.JPG

finished_7.JPG

Floor_finished.JPG

If I died right now. SWMBO would be a very wealthy woman. Ooh and all the brew equipment the Chevelle and the other cars would be gone in short order.

I think it's time to take the dead critter off the wall.

And my brewery would get sold to the best offer to pay for the gasoline that fuels her DIY cremation of my body. Prolly whilst drinking the last of my brew too.

I transformed (still transforming) a portion of my basement too, and I did the epoxy garage coating on the floor-- if I had to do it all over again, I would not hesitate for one second. It is great!

finished_7.JPG

Floor_finished.JPG

That looks great! I'm curious what kind of paint you used for the brick?

Also does the epoxy provide any kind of cushioning? It does look great, but maybe my concern didn't come across. I'm hoping for something that won't smash a carboy if I happen to set it down a little too hard.

If I died right now that would blow.... And I would cry at the fact that my brew equipment is for my tiny apartment. I have so so much more to do with it. But being only 23 lets hope I have a few more years before I kick that bucket.

Back