7 gallon plastic bucket for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
So, I'm still up in the air if I'll even rack to a secondary. If I do, it will be to a 7 gallon plastic fermenting bucket. I've read that the biggest disadvantage would be the amount of empty headspace in the bucket. Does anyone have experience racking to a plastic bucket for a secondary and do you have any issues with it?

I that's all you have, use it for a second primary and just do 1 stage fermetations.

I've never used buckets except for a primary, not saying it wouldn't work, but as you stated that's more headspace than you need in a secondary.

I that's all you have, use it for a second primary and just do 1 stage fermentations.

I've never used buckets except for a primary, not saying it wouldn't work, but as you stated that's more headspace than you need in a secondary.

I concur. If you really want to secondary you should get a 5 gal glass carboy or Better Bottle, otherwise I'd just do a long primary (3+ weeks).

Ok then. I suppose that settles it. I'll just do 3 in the primary and use both buckets as primaries. Thanks!

Back