How to figure conversion through steeping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWhleDr

Reaction score
Quick question: during steeping of specialty grains how can I read the amount converted? Can I take a gravity reading before adding extract? Steeping is really for color and flavor, correct? I cant help but want to know how much steeping really affects the final product. Searching the forum is sometimes difficult. Thanks for replies. Cheers to beers.

I think I remember steeping as yielding 40% efficiency...but I've been drinking all night and well, you know...:drunk:

(Actually, with all my drucken experience I can probably function better this way than most people can...not this way...). Even my bowling score improve after a couple Kamekazi's...the secret is you mutiply the scores instead of adding them...:D

if you are trying to hit a target OG you can take the gravity after steeping your grains and then adding extract as necessary. i am reading designing great beers by ray daniels and it has a lot of equations for you to hone your beers to exactly the specifications you want. I have spent all morning calculating the total gravities and malt bills for the beers that we brew at work.

40% is a reasonable guess, then you can correct with DME as needed if you had huge amounts of specialty grains and were far off of that mark.

Back