Scratches in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I just racked my PM Oatmeal Stout and noticed that I have some small scratches in my AilPail. Should this concern me? Am I asking for infection? Is it time for a new one, or better yet, invest in a Better Bottle?

You just need to pay special attention to it when cleaning it. Soaking the ale pail in something like Star San should adequately sterilize the scratched areas, but make sure nothing is lodged in the scratches by scrubbing it when you clean the pail...

I have a BB with a lacto infection in it. Didn't know you couldn't scrub a BB when I first bought them.

It is being used right now for a flanders red. The starter I pitched had lacto in it too so I am not concerned with the infection in the carboy.

If it does have an infection you can always use it for sour beers rather than throwing it out.

I usually retire my Buckets if they have scratches. They can be used for something else around the house. I dont like the Idea of bacteria being able to hide in those scratches.

From the minibrew plastic fermenter website:

Scratches. One need not worry about tiny scratches in plastic or stainless. There are two answers to the problem and both are easy. First do nothing. Leave the scratch, clean it with a soft brush and sterilize with hot water. The second answer is to remove the scratch by cutting down the sides. Use a dull knife drawing it toward you, scraping away the plastic. Grinding and buffing scratches in stainless steel is complicated.

How big is the scratch? I have a bucket that was very old with lots and lots of little fine scratches all over the inside and it is fine.

There was a thread a while back about a guy using oven bags as a liner inside his AlePale

never tired it but here is a pic

Reynolds_Oven_Bags-resized200.jpg

There was a thread a while back about a guy using oven bags as a liner inside his AlePale

never tired it but here is a pic

Reynolds_Oven_Bags-resized200.jpg

I am that guy. I do it, it works. I have two in the bag right now fining and conditioning. I'll never clean a bucket fermenter again.

You only need pay attention when racking into the bucket to ensure the air displaces without pulling the bag in and spilling the wort. So far, it hasn't happened to me.

I only wish they made larger turkey bags to allow for more overlap in the bucket.

Do you close the lid on the top of the bag first and then rack in through the airlock hole?

No.

I just make sure the air can escape from around the sides (no pockets) and keep the lip of the bag from collapsing over. Not a big deal really. Have though about using some clips to hold it.

Once the bucket is full I haven't had any potential issues.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will let it be and just keep on doing what I've been doing. When it's not in use I use it to store star-san, so I think it stays pretty sterile. I thought about cutting down the sides of the scratch, though, just to get rid of the edge.

Back