British Brown Ale Extract English Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
NO
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.042-1.048
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
20-25
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week, 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks 68 degrees
3.3 LBS Amber LME
2 LBS Amber DME
8 oz Crystal 60L (crushed)

1 oz Williamette (60 minutes)
1/2 oz Williamette (5 minutes)

Pour two gallons water into brewpot and bring to approx 155 degrees. Steep grains (in a grain bag) 20 minutes, dunking grains like a tea bag. Remove grains and allow to drain without squeezing when finished. Discard the grains.

Heat the brewpot to boiling. Remove from heat and add malt extract. Stir until dissolved. Bring back to a boil and add bittering hops. Boil 55 minutes, then add finishing hops. Boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool rapidly to 70 degrees by using a wort chiller or an ice bath. When cool, put contents into a large fermenter. Fill with cool water until the 5 gallon mark is reached. Using a hydrometer, take an og reading. Sprinkle the yeast in, stir, and secure the lid and airlock. Keep at 68 degrees, if possible.

Bottle after at least two weeks, and a f.g. of 1.012 or less, or rack to a secondary. Bottle with 5 ounces priming sugar.

The mix is because of the weights. It's easy to get LME in 3.3 pound cans. But it's not enough for the recipe, and 6.6 pounds is too much. You can mix and match extract, but I didn't want to buy a whole can is only use 3/4 of it.

The recipe uses amber malt extract, any brand is fine.

I had an OG of 1.042, and a FG of 1.010, so it was right around 4.1% ABV.

Brewed up a batch of this last week, but used WLP005 British Ale yeast. Left it at room temperature (~65-67), didn't bother with the swamp cooler. Took a reading an hour or so ago, and I hit these OG and FG numbers exactly. Plan on bottling it over Thanksgiving weekend.

Looks a little paler than I was expecting, but tasted pretty good. Should be an easy drinker.

Interesting... you said don't squeeze the grain. I heard this before.

I squeezed mine through the strainer 'thinking I was getting the last bit of amber malt'... so why not? Could squeezing the grains cause astringency?

I think this one gets a big fat NEXT stamp on it as my next batch attempt. 1/2 batch would be:

3lbs Amber LME
4oz Crystal 60L

1/2oz Willamette
1/4oz Willamette

Right?

Also interested in if the previous post would make for a good half batch recipe. Anyone able to coin in on this?

Thanks,
Schif

I punched this into beersmith to save the recipe, and to my surprise it listed this...

Bitterness: 13.5 IBUs

It this a beer smith error? i just made an irish red, 2 gallon boil, 5 gallon batch size, with 2 ounces of hops put in at about the same times and it hit 20 IBU's. Something tells me it's a beersmith boo boo... However I'm still learning my way around BeerSmith, so if I did something wrong let me know. Just curious.

Schif

here is the report i had beer smith generate, i upped the DME, only change.

English Brown Ale
Mild (11 A)
Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.82 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 2.60 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 4.60 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Date: 18 Jan 2014
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Pot ( 3 Gal/11.4 L) - Extract
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1 7.4 %
3 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 2 44.1 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 3 48.5 %
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 12.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 1.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 6 -
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.5 %
Bitterness: 13.5 IBUs
Est Color: 11.6 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Sparge Water: 0.90 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Total Grain Weight: 6 lbs 12.8 oz
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Bottle
Pressure/Weight: 3.61 oz
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.61 oz Corn Sugar
Age for: 30.00 days
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Brewed up a batch of this last week, but used WLP005 British Ale yeast. Left it at room temperature (~65-67), didn't bother with the swamp cooler. Took a reading an hour or so ago, and I hit these OG and FG numbers exactly. Plan on bottling it over Thanksgiving weekend.

Looks a little paler than I was expecting, but tasted pretty good. Should be an easy drinker.

Just popping back in to say that I bought the ingredients to make this one a second time (took a child-induced sabbatical, this one was first on the list when I got back). This was the first brew I made that I personally drank all of. Thanks for the recipe, Yooper!

I brewed this just the other day. However, after topping up the wort to 25 litres, and a good mix with my spoon, my OG reading was 1032.

Could this be due to not mixing enough? I gave it a decent mix before reading the OG, but perhaps not quite enough? Can this happen?

If that is the case, should I just presume my OG is 1.042?

I brewed this just the other day. However, after topping up the wort to 25 litres, and a good mix with my spoon, my OG reading was 1032.

Could this be due to not mixing enough? I gave it a decent mix before reading the OG, but perhaps not quite enough? Can this happen?

If that is the case, should I just presume my OG is 1.042?

I'm not sure what happened, but generally the batch size is 5 gallons (19 liters), so the extra 6 liters of water would definitely dilute it and 1.032 seems about right with an extra 6 liters.

I'm planning on doing this one in the near future. What (if any) adjustments would you make for doing a full boil?

What about late extract addition, or are you putting everything in at the beginning to intentionally darken things a bit?

Thanks.

Planning on trying this one this weekend. I have a starter going for some WLP-005 that I washed from a previous batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewed it up with a big help from my wife since my back is still bugging me. Will report back when it's done.

Yooper what yeast did you use for this originally?
I'm considering this as my first non kit beer.... Want to do right!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I attempted this recipe again, after the cock up with water volumes in my first attempt.

Got the water spot on, with US gallons! got 5 US gallons into the FV. OG was 1.042.

However, after 2 weeks, it looks to be stuck on 1.018, which will give me another 3.2%ABV beer, not really what I wanted!

Could I possibly kickstart this with a starter?

No, it sounds about done. It's not a high abv beer but next time if you start with a recipe with more fermentables you can get a higher abv.

I'm going to make this, not sure what yeast would be best.
Considering US-04 or Notty.

Recommendations?

Either, as they are very similar. Keep it under 65 degrees, otherwise both strains get funny-ish tasting.

Ty Yooper!
I'll post back in a few weeks or so when I get a chance to make it.

I haven't had a chance to keg mine yet. When I took a sample it seemed like it will be a nice easy drinking brown ale. Will give a full update once I have it on tap.

Back