Safe to use CPC disconnect on boil kettle ball valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting the 1/2" MPT CPC disconnect (see here) to be attached to the ball valve on a brew kettle as it looks like it'd make things easier come time to drain the kettle, but my question is whether or not it's safe to do so. I'm afraid that it might not be able to take the heat for an extended period.

As a note, I'm an electric stove brewer, so there's no danger of flame nicking it.

You should look at the brass ones on McMaster. Most people around here are using them with great success, and they're cheaper.

Man, there are a lot of choices for QDs on the McMaster site. Any pointers as to what exactly I should be looking for? First ones I noticed were the "color coded brass" ones, but is that the kind folks are using?

Sorry....I guess I tend to give unsolicited advice:eek:

I do too :) Just a note if you do end up going w/ the polysulphone ones, it helps to drill out the cross hairs (I used a drill press). It will increase flow rate and helps them from getting clogged. I use them on all my connections so when recirculating the mash (via a HERMS) or recirculating the wort for an IMC whirlpool setup it really makes a difference.

Do you keep them on during the boil?

Yes. The ones I have have a 1/2" NPT thread (male side). They are screwed into the valve on my kettle as well as the return "t" on the middle of the keg for when I run my IMC whirlpool (see gallery for pics).

I use them too and havent had any issues. I keep them on the bk during the boil. I bought mine at midwest supplies though. they're a little cheaper than northern ( plus i work five minutes away from there)

Back