Weird secondary fermentation in two Belgian strong darks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Late April I made a dubbel-ish (9% abv) and a more typical 10.5% strong dark.

June in racked to secondaries (carboys) where I planned on keeping them until early December. I may use as Christmas brews, and bottle the rest.

What I am now seeing are bubbles on the surface of the beer in the carboys. They're stored in the basement at about 70oF. This bubbling started a few weeks ago during a very warm spell and has not dissipated yet.

I am not worried about the beer, and am wondering if this is evidence of secondary fermentation due to the rising temps? I have heard that Belgians can dry out some over a few months in the bottle/carboy.

Thanks for any insight into what I'm seeing!

It might be renewed fermentation, but it is more likely just CO2 gas coming out of solution as the beer warms. Probably nothing to worry about -- happens all the time.

yeah it's just the yeast arousing or more gas coming out. If it makes you feel better you can let it sit for a little longer. You could even give it a gentle stir to let more out. Just dont splash it too much.

exactly what I was going to say...

It's usually CO2 gas very slowly being released. You'll see it for a while, especially after you raise the temp on it like you did.

I have a dopple that's been lagering at about 39 degrees for a couple of months, took it out of the cooler for a couple hours and I had the tiny CO2 bubbles as well.

Take a hydrometer reading if you're REALLY curious and that should tell you if you're completely fermented out.

Back