recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
ok this is what I put together as a nice simple wit for the summer. I have all of this on hand which is nice, but I want to actually make a damn good wit... or what one is to me. And I think my thoughts on wits might be a bit off of other people's.
I want it to be very very light in color and cloudy white from the wheat and yeast. I want to taste the orange, coriander, candy sugar and yeast profile. And That's the big thing.. getting the latter two of those to come out in the end, especially the candy sugar.

So basically, those with more experience than me will this turn out like I described? Any suggestions?

Belgian Wit
Mash: 148F
OG: (1.047)
IBU: 13
Loviblond: 3
5lbs 2-row
4lb white wheat
1lb candy sugar
.25 oz Nugget @ 11.6% 60mins
1 oz Striesspalt @ 2.6% 15mins
.5 oz Bitter orange peal 10mins
.5 oz crushed coriander 10mins
Yeast: wlp400

so I just listened to the jamil show on this style and I really like what he (doc in this case) was saying so I'm going to throw a bunch of those things in here. Also, this will be my first decoction brew.

3lbs 2-row
4lb white wheat
1lb 6-row
1lb oats
.5lb Cane Sugar
2oz Acid Malt
1 oz Cascade @ 6.6% 30 mins
1 oz Striesspalt @ 2.6% 15 mins
1 entire fresh orange zested 5mins
.5 oz crushed coriander 5mins
1 tbsp flour flame-out
Yeast: wlp400

that's the basic bill coming in at 1.052 3srm and 15ibu. Now for the decoction, the white unmalted wheat and the unmalted oats and a pound of 6-row in their own separate mash starting at 122F for 15mins with 1.7qts/lb, now the wheat and oats are crushed to hell, like holy **** I'm gonna get a stuck sparge fine. Then up to 148 to 15mins then bring it to a boil for 15mins. At the same time in my mash tun there is the main mash with everything else at 122 and 1.25qts/lb while the decoction mash is going. After the 15min boil of the decoction, you throw that in the main mash, but not all of it, just enough to bring the temp up to the 155ish range for 45-60mins for the sach rest. Then more from the decoction mash to reach mash out at about 170.
Then lauter and sparge like normal which is batch for me at 1.33qts/lb.

This is basically a slightly altered recipe from the jamil show on witbier and I think this will be a fun beer and hopefully it turns out great.

Questions/comments?

well yeah I could cut the cascade in half and add it at 60 or so (off the top of my head) but I thought that maybe a slight bit of citrus from it would be nice, so I went with 30mins and a full ounce.

Back