tri clover sight glass on HERMS build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireguy94

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm currently building an electric HERMS brewery. I've seen people put an in line sight glasses on their systems like this: http://www.brewershardware.com/TC10SG.html

I'm trying to figure out what the benefits would be for me to add one. I'm thinking that one use I can see is on the Mash Tun so I can see the change in wort color as it goes through its mash. Does anybody else have experience or input to add on the pros and cons of using this.

Matt

I have one, in the middle of my RIMS tube. I went with it so that I would have a visual confirmation that my element was in liquid. But, I like that I can tell how the mash is clearing and coloring. Also, it is just cool to watch.

I have mine attached to the recirculation pump output for the mash, It's not necessary but I like it to see the mash recirculation, and it's fun to watch it go from turbid to clear-ish.

It's not necessary but I like it to see the mash recirculation, and it's fun to watch it go from turbid to clear-ish.

+1. I thought about adding one myself but didn't given that it results in extra cleaning. They are neat to look at the first few times you use them.

You can also lift the lid on the kettle to see how the wort gets clearer over time.

Kal

The one I currently use isn't TC, but serves the same purpose. It is reassuring to see the mash clear and gives a visual indication that the recirc is working without lifting the cover to the tun.

We use one to monitor inline O2 delivery.
IMG_1703.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qLO_Iqu4Ts&feature=youtu.be

I have mine attached to the recirculation pump output for the mash, It's not necessary but I like it to see the mash recirculation, and it's fun to watch it go from turbid to clear-ish.

I agree about it not being necessary but we brew because we enjoy the process right? During the mash I like to just sit and watch it as it changes. For cleaning I run the hot liquor through it to flush it, and it bumps the temp up to 170. After that I pull the RIMs tube off the stand, take both caps off, and clean it with soap and a wine bottle brush. This does a good job for me. I agree with Kal about not wanting to do something that makes more things to clean.

cfrazier77,

Is that the brewer's hardware tri-clamp element adapter? I am thinking about using one on a new kettle from brewer's hardware but am nut sure how low I can mount it in the kettle and still have the kettle sit flat.

Would you mind measuring the diameter of the largest part of it? Also, is that a 1.5" or 2" version?

Thanks,

cfrazier77,

Is that the brewer's hardware tri-clamp element adapter? I am thinking about using one on a new kettle from brewer's hardware but am nut sure how low I can mount it in the kettle and still have the kettle sit flat.

Would you mind measuring the diameter of the largest part of it? Also, is that a 1.5" or 2" version?

Thanks,

It is the 2" model and is 3.25"ish. I am happy with it and think that it was worth the money.

Back