Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to cancel my barrel sorry guys. Once my guys found out a batch of that size would cost they bowed out. I guess better knowing now better than later.

Just for the record, if anyone needs help drinking their barrel aged beers I'm your guy. :)

I am still interested in the barrel. I would like to do a Belgian Tripel, similar to an allagash curieux. I would offer it up for a group brew or try to manage brewing 50+ gallons 6 gallons at a time, it's doable, right...

Whats your location?, if not too far from me (midway) i could help to fill it up. I like belgian beers and can make 11gal batches

I'm in on a bunch of 10 to 13.75 lb grain splits.
Anyone have any idea what size of container will hold that amount of grain?

I go with white food grade buckets from lowes, some $3 each. Also great lids with a rubber seal for under $2.

I inquired of a few local distilleries recently and here's what I found out:

-Koval Distillery in Ravenswood sells used 30 gallon barrels for $120. They didn't say what type of barrel, but I assume it's their Lion's Pride Whiskey.

-Few Spirits in Evanston sells used bourbon and used rye 5 gallon barrels for $150, and second fill barrels for $75.

Best price I found was online from Costco, 12 pack of 6 gallon buckets and gamma lids was $129 + shipping, they dont always have them. Recommended if you keep grain in a changing humidity enviro. (basement/garage)

That's an awesome price if it includes a gamma lid. Amazing, actually. And you can use them as fermenters if you so desire.

I inquired of a few local distilleries recently and here's what I found out:

-Koval Distillery in Ravenswood sells used 30 gallon barrels for $120. They didn't say what type of barrel, but I assume it's their Lion's Pride Whiskey.

-Few Spirits in Evanston sells used bourbon and used rye 5 gallon barrels for $150, and second fill barrels for $75.

FEW is moving away from 5 gallon barrels. The larger barrels are basically the same price due to supply/demand and the economies of scale in the large coopers doing full sized barrels almost exclusively.

Our club has done quite a few brews with barrels. We found it best to transfer in the beer after secondary fermentation so little amount of yeast sediment ends up in barrel. For second use we flush it out with water best we can. Then dump in a 750 mil of the same brand bourbon to kill any bugs/bacteria and replenish some flavor. Roll it around to coat the inside walls. Ideally the sooner you can reuse the barrel after its first use the greater likelihood the barrel will not get a chance to spoil or dry out.

hot427cobra said:
Our club has done quite a few brews with barrels. We found it best to transfer in the beer after secondary fermentation so little amount of yeast sediment ends up in barrel. For second use we flush it out with water best we can. Then dump in a 750 mil of the same brand bourbon to kill any bugs/bacteria and replenish some flavor. Roll it around to coat the inside walls. Ideally the sooner you can reuse the barrel after its first use the greater likelihood the barrel will not get a chance to spoil or dry out.

Interesting. Would keep the pipeline of that type beer going on a normal basis if you wanted to be able to re-use the barrel.

nwestby said:
I go with white food grade buckets from lowes, some $3 each. Also great lids with a rubber seal for under $2.

The standard bucket lids don't last long getting in and out of them. If you're looking for longer term storage thats easy to re-seal definitely get the gamma lids. I got the Lowes buckets and then got 10 gamma lids for $70 on a site called Ozbo after a previous buy. Seemed to be the cheapest I could find in my search at the item.

SpacemanSpiff said:
The standard bucket lids don't last long getting in and out of them. If you're looking for longer term storage thats easy to re-seal definitely get the gamma lids. I got the Lowes buckets and then got 10 gamma lids for $70 on a site called Ozbo after a previous buy. Seemed to be the cheapest I could find in my search at the item.

Gamma lids were $6.50 each at HD last week.

Another online source I looked at before buying 2- 12packs from Costco was freckleface..another one of the prepper sites..if I recall they had decent pricing in larger qty's & used to run bucket/lid combo deals.

But if not in a hurry check Costco site periodically..

Sam's club has the 10 packs w/6gal bkts for $112

Whats your location?, if not too far from me (midway) i could help to fill it up. I like belgian beers and can make 11gal batches

I live near Midway. I just need to pick up some new equipment to make larger batches.

Just PM me if you decide to go for it and need help with the project.
Hym when i think more about it im not sure triple is the best choice for the barrel, in my experience tripel doesnt age as well as belgian double or dark strong and that would be lots of beer that would age for years also at least for me, darker/maltier beers go better with oak notes, anyway im just thinking out loud and im sure it will be fun regardless of beer style :)

TheBreweryUnderground said:
I've got a FEW Spirits Bourbon Barrel Aged Ancho Chili Stout for you when it comes time for the pick up.

Sounds great

Randar said:
That's an awesome price if it includes a gamma lid. Amazing, actually. And you can use them as fermenters if you so desire.

I got all of mine for there. Have many empty that I am looking to fill :)

This buy closes tomorrow at midnight. Please review your orders and make necessary additions, subtractions and adjustments before then.

Once the by closes I will add the freight, database template and wire transfer (to avoid multiple credit card transactions which take up more time) charges. This will give everyone their totals. After everyone pays I'll get a quote/invoice and post it and have the distributor process the payment. In the past, I would get the quote first then ask for payment. But the constant bank and forth of requoting was annoying and confusing them. So this time we pay first then just submit the order with payment. I will refund people money if they paid for something and it's out of stock. A spreadsheet will be kept for that just like in the past.

we are at 302 sacks but there are 11 sacks that are open splits that could possibly get dropped.

we are at 302 sacks but there are 11 sacks that are open splits that could possibly get dropped.

If someone wants to turn that Vienna into 4 splits instead of two and take two for yourself, it looks like the other two would be taken by myself and someone else. That way your split won't be dropped.

Just PM me if you decide to go for it and need help with the project.
Hym when i think more about it im not sure triple is the best choice for the barrel, in my experience tripel doesnt age as well as belgian double or dark strong and that would be lots of beer that would age for years also at least for me, darker/maltier beers go better with oak notes, anyway im just thinking out loud and im sure it will be fun regardless of beer style :)

Polboy, I like the cut of your jib. Now that I think about it, a Belgian Dark Strong would be nice in that barrel. I will definitely PM you when the time comes to consider the options.

If someone wants to turn that Vienna into 4 splits instead of two and take two for yourself, it looks like the other two would be taken by myself and someone else. That way your split won't be dropped.
I will take the other 1/2 of the current Vienna split if this doesn't happen. If this does happen, I will take the remaining 1/4.

I am trying to add a second 32oz of Star San but the program is not letting me.

In the past group buys payment has been by PayPal to Bill's email account. This will be after he adds the shipping costs. I am sure Bill will post a reply around Saturday after the buy closes and freight has been added.

Does anyone have an interest in a group buy for cardboard 4-pack holders? If we order a bunch of them we could get our Chicago Home Brewers printed on it and get a pretty decent price.

I just saw this forum and registered on the Group Buy page...will I be able to still get in on this before the midnight deadline?

Thanks!

cadwallion said:
I will take the other 1/2 of the current Vienna split if this doesn't happen. If this does happen, I will take the remaining 1/4.

If the split hasn't been changed by the time I get home from work, I'll throw up a new split. I'll take 1/4, geckholm can take 1/4 and cadwallion can take either 1/2 or 1/4.

Does that work? I'd hate for the guy to lose his order, but if we've got a split that works, we shouldn't have to miss out...

If the split hasn't been changed by the time I get home from work, I'll throw up a new split. I'll take 1/4, geckholm can take 1/4 and cadwallion can take either 1/2 or 1/4.

Does that work? I'd hate for the guy to lose his order, but if we've got a split that works, we shouldn't have to miss out...

That split has closed, but I've opened another if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back