Stout recipe feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I'm head to my LHBS tomorrow morning to pick up ingredients for a brew tomorrow afternoon. I'm doing a pumpkin stout. Here's what I've got for a recipe:

Malt:
10# 2-row pale
2# chocolate malt
1# roasted malt
1# wheat (for head retention)
8# pumpkin, roasted with pie spices

Hops:
1oz Fuggles (60min)
.5oz Fuggles (15min)
.5oz Fuggles (5min)

Not sure about yeast yet, nor about when to add the pumpkin.

Any thoughts on the recipe? I'm still newish to all grain (this'll be my 3rd or 4th batch), so any feedback would be helpful

I might suggest Burton Ale (WLP 023) for the yeast. My stout turned out really well with that yeast. Definitely keep the wheat, I've had good head formation and retention with flaked wheat or barley. I plan to have a pound in almost every recipe I make going forward...like a soft pillow of foamy goodness to greet you. Might want to ad an ounce more of hops, perhaps something slightly citrusy to play off the pumpkin? Not sure on adding the pumpkin though.

I would sub out the wheat for midnight wheat. That recipe looks like your SRM (color) will not be dark enough. I would also change the hops to EKG but that is all I use in my stouts.

As for yeast, Wyeast 1084 Irish for a clean dry profile or if you want to "pimp" the pumpkin use Wyeast Dennys Fav 50. I have done MANY pumpkin ales and you need to use Dennys or just forget about the pumpkin.

Add the pumpkin in the mash.

Drizzle with honey then Roast it in the oven for 45 min to 1hr then add to your mash.

Also, in the last 5 minutes some pumpkin spice mix might also up the pumpkin factor.

Back