Is it poor form

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captwalt

Reaction score
To beat my chest on this forum, because I just won a homebrew competition at the Montgomery county agriculture fair.

But seriously, It was my first competition and I won best in show and I am super psyched. Thanks to everybody who posts and helps others and keeps things going. This forum is a great tool and it gas been very helpful to me.

Just wanted to share

image-837590323.jpg

I'm gonna post it on my website soon. It was an Amercan IPA I made to celebrate my daughters birthday. I assumed IPA was a very competitive category so I didn't expect much but wow!

The HBS's that sponsor’s these competitions just give those out to noobs so that they'll keep buying supplies.

J/K :D

Really nice job! Also looking forward to seeing the recipe.
:mug:

WTF Over! I didn't know they had a homebrew competition! I will be entering next year. We didn't get a chance to go this year - is it over yet?

Here is my recipe for my IPA. I made this for my daughters first birthday. It was going to be all Warrior and Simcoe but the IBU weren't enough and I had cascades so I used em up. Best enjoyed fresh
I was minding children so ended up mashing for almost 2 hours @ 150* and boiled for about 80 min.
I made five gallons. Primary ferment for 11 days ~65* dry hop and let sit for 5 more days then bottle

9lb 2row
1lb crystal 60
.25lb carapils

Warrior 16.7% .5 oz @FWH
.25oz @ 30 min
.25oz @ 15 min
Cascade 5% .25oz @ 30min
.5oz @ 15 min
.5oz @ FO
Simcoe 12.2% .5oz @15 min
.25 oz @FO

Dry hop with .75oz cascade and .25oz simcoe

Congratulations man! I entered my first competition a few weeks ago and find out the results on the 25th. I am excited, I have no goal of BOS but would love to place in the category I entered. I made a Honey Orange Habanero Wit and put it in the spice category. Your recipe seems like a nice crisp straightforward IPA, sounds tasty. Congrats again man!

I planned to enter it when I brewed it so I tried to stick to the BJCP style guidelines.

Got my score sheets and ribbons from the Montgomery county fair comp last night in the mail. Looking forward to reading through these in detail and seeing if I can taste what the judges did.

You're the second person to tell me they already got their scoresheets and I still haven'e got mine. This was my real motivation for entering, "REAL" feedback. God bless my family and friends, but they never really have anything constructive to say about my beers. Evertything is just "good" or "great" or "not my thing". While their comments are not completely useless I think I'm ready for some more detail.

I'm sure it's in mail. Let me know what you think of the comments. I've been entering some of the comps here locally an sending some off to nearby locations as well for the last 2 years. Comments received range from very useful to completely useless. Entering the same beer in a few different comps is fun too as you ge to see how different or close the feedback is.

I got my score sheets back from the MCAF yesterday. I entered 4 beers, three of which scored in various ranges in the 20s, so meh - but that's about where they have been scoring in several competitions. A lot of the feedback was pretty good. One problem I'm having is when I read notes that describe the taste or whatever, and it all seems good, but I only score a 12/20 with no suggestions for improvement? I know the judging is tough, but part of my goal is to help make even better beer. Just describing what you taste only helps so much. IIWII I guess. Sometimes the suggestions or comments help a lot. On my last brew day I came to the realization that I think I'm over-sparging, and the comments on one of my beers especially called this out (two different judges). So my brewing process has already improved.

The best beer (IMHO) that I had got a 33. It was a Belgian Pale Ale that has scored as high as 37 in the Indiana State Fair. I think I'm really close with this one, but am also developing a theory that BPA is at an inherent disadvantage in competition being such a relatively restrained style in a category with much more "extreme" (and popular) styles like Saisons, Witbier, and Belgian Specialty. That could just be sour grapes, though.

captwalt said:
I'm gonna post it on my website soon. It was an Amercan IPA I made to celebrate my daughters birthday. I assumed IPA was a very competitive category so I didn't expect much but wow!

I'll trade you two bottles of the 3rd place in American IPA for a bottle of BOS. :)

To beat my chest on this forum, because I just won a homebrew competition at the Montgomery county agriculture fair.

But seriously, It was my first competition and I won best in show and I am super psyched. Thanks to everybody who posts and helps others and keeps things going. This forum is a great tool and it gas been very helpful to me.

Just wanted to share

View attachment 71704

Congrats,
You couldn't have done it without us :)
;)

Here is my recipe for my IPA. I made this for my daughters first birthday. It was going to be all Warrior and Simcoe but the IBU weren't enough and I had cascades so I used em up. Best enjoyed fresh
I was minding children so ended up mashing for almost 2 hours @ 150* and boiled for about 80 min.
I made five gallons. Primary ferment for 11 days ~65* dry hop and let sit for 5 more days then bottle

9lb 2row
1lb crystal 60
.25lb carapils

Warrior 16.7% .5 oz @FWH
.25oz @ 30 min
.25oz @ 15 min
Cascade 5% .25oz @ 30min
.5oz @ 15 min
.5oz @ FO
Simcoe 12.2% .5oz @15 min
.25 oz @FO

Dry hop with .75oz cascade and .25oz simcoe

It is poor form not to put the recipe in the OP, but hey, you manned up after all.;)

Back