Has anyone that went electric ever went back to gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are your thoughts on an electric system?

• I am and I Love it! Electricity ALL THE WAY!

• I did and went back to gas.

• I'm thinking about it

• Lame Question. No pants here.

Results are only viewable after voting.

onthekeg

Reaction score
I was thinking about this reading a different thread, and I was curious.
I have my old system that if I ever wanted to go somewhere else and brew with propane, I could, but it isn't ever used anymore. A person stated that electric wasn't all that great and that people that have an electric system will always push their system as the best.

I have been electric for over a year and love it. Is there anyone out there that didn't love it?

We were thinking of keeping our old turkey fryer setup in case we wanted to brew outside. But since electric is so much more hands off, we can just leave the mash / boil alone in the basement and do whatever the heck else we want, including going outside.

A person stated that electric wasn't all that great and that people that have an electric system will always push their system as the best.

Do you believe everything you read, then base a poll on it. Imo this a foolish thread that does nothing to promote brewing, no matter how you decide to heat the water.

_

Do you believe everything you read, then base a poll on it. Imo this a foolish thread that does nothing to promote brewing, no matter how you decide to heat the water.

_

Thanks for your opinion! Too bad you didn't have any suggestions to make it better..;)

I like it, I'v been so hyped on getting my electric build going and finished I never even thought to ask about the cons. but I'v never seen anyone express any unfavorable aspects of electric brewing.

I was at a friends house last night as he brewed on his top tier system. In that moment I realized how much easier and efficient electric really is. I will not be switching back.

I don't have the power supply available in this house to brew electric. I would need another run to the house in addition to upgrading everything between and adding new outlets, etc. Probably cost me more to build and brew electric here than to rent another place just for brewing.

The only con that I've run into so far is scorching wort in a RIMS tube, BUT I need to clarify on that with details most dont give.

One, I was step mashing with it, and two it's a 4500 watt, and three I was running reduced flow rate to prevent bed compaction, four it is much more likely to occur with high protein mashes like wheat or rye. The scorching problem does go away if I compact the grain bed and go full flow, but I didnt want to do that so I switched to a dedicated hex for mash. The input water for the HEX is heated by the rims tube, so now no mash wort ever touches a heating element.

Another con would be that sometimes the heating elements grow rust or other corrosion on them, but placing a magnesium rod in the water with direct contact to the same metal surface that the heating element threads contact solves this.

Temperature control is much more uniform and easier if you do it right with PWM + SSR and PID. That's from my observations at least.

Back