my Frigidaire LFPH44M4LB conversion/build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repomanz

Reaction score
Hi folks -

Thought I'd share my conversion. Following is based on these threads about this fridge:

http://projectkegerator.blogspot.com/2010/08/project-kegerator.html
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/frigidaire-model-frc445gb-mini-fridge-kegerator-conversion-89013/ <--- this is a great thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kegerator-conversion-frigidaire-lfph44m4lm-221800/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/frigidaire-model-frc445gb-keg-conversion-157618/

Couple notes about this conversion:

1) sometimes, the refrigerant lines are not parallel with each other. Like mine
2) don't let your local hardware store sell you an expensive sheetmetal diameter saw. The sheetmetal ~maybe 3/32" thick. I was able to use a wood bit and slowly drill through it very easily
3) The lid - is very fragile and glued down. TAKE YOUR TIME. I am a pretty patient person but even i got a stress crack in the back part of the lid. I found using putty tools (like shown in the photo) worked well for sliding up the sides of the lid and kind of breaking some of the glue. I then started to pull from both corners. GO SLOW
4) Putting the lid back on. There are two tabs shown in the photo below. Because of how the fridge was manufactured, i couldn't get the lid back on with the full depth of the tabs. However, shaving 1/8" off, i was able to pry enough and snap the front side back in. For the rear, there are two sheet metal screws you can leverage through the top of the lid, or push it back down.
5). Copper vs Forced air. Seems forced air is the best but I've read good results from copper. If I get foamy pours, i may go back and work a fan in there. The materials for this were more than i was wanting to spend and i already had the copper laying around.

remove the door:
dsc01807a.jpg

start to slowly pry the lid off (it's glued down)
dsc01808c.jpg

Use a second tool to lift both sides of corner
dsc01809j.jpg

need to offset depth in foam for tower reinforcement
dsc01812r.jpg

Now.. gotta dig down in the foam to the refrigerant lines
dsc01816ja.jpg

about 3.25" deep
dsc01818l.jpg

smoothed out a bit
dsc01819w.jpg

3/4" plywood reinforcement
dsc01821uv.jpg

top of lid (need to shave off ribs)
dsc01823y.jpg

front latch/lid tabs (i needed to shave 1/8" off of them)
dsc01825me.jpg

shaved down ribs
dsc01826ii.jpg

copper tubes for the beer lines. silver tape has new expanding foam under it
dsc01828r.jpg

fridge side of the tubes
dsc01832x.jpg

plywood threaded inserts for tower mounting hardware
dsc01834q.jpg

Car kegging system! (ok - just took a photo during transport after racking)
dsc01835n.jpg

tape removed. now to re-level the foam
dsc01837n.jpg

front photo
dsc01840v.jpg

Jamil's dunkleweisen left and Dale's Pale Ale on the right
dsc01841rt.jpg

door mod
dsc01842r.jpg

another front photo
dsc01846o.jpg

Looks awesome. It seems like every fridge I see converted has that foam underneath the top of the fridge. Mine just has a large piece of styrofoam in between the removable top of the fridge and the hard plastic underneath the stryofoam. Does the foam just serve the purpose of insulation?

Also, what is the purpose of the silver tape and expanding foam? I would assume to prevent air leak but wouldn't that just help cool the tower?

looks great! I can not wait to build one for myself!

The silver foil tape keeps the expandable foam from growing in the wrong direction. letting it fill up the hole more thoroughly

Does the foam just serve the purpose of insulation?

Yes.

Also, what is the purpose of the silver tape and expanding foam? I would assume to prevent air leak but wouldn't that just help cool the tower?

On this fridge, you have to locate where the refrigerant lines are located roughly 3.25" - 3.50" under the foam.

Once the hole was dug, you need to use the expanding foam to fill the void. In the other reference links, some folks left a volume open, some including myself filled the hole back with the foam.

The only reason why i put the silver tape over the expanding foam (while it was applied) was the hopes it would eliminate some air pockets within the cavity. Once the foam cured, the silver tape pushed upward. I removed the tape and then leveled out the foam again. As an FYI, covering the foam doubled the cure time.

<survey says>

at some point I'll be removing the copper pipes and putting a fan in. I'm getting foamy first pours.

It has a freezer but all you need to do is remove 2 screws & the door & shelf come out. The cooling coils are in the top of the freezer, not the shelf.

<survey says>

at some point I'll be removing the copper pipes and putting a fan in. I'm getting foamy first pours.

Think it would help if you had more copper inside the fridge? I'm thinking about putting a "T" fitting on the inside so I can run the beverage lines straight & be able to add more copper tube for more cooling in the tower.

Think it would help if you had more copper inside the fridge? I'm thinking about putting a "T" fitting on the inside so I can run the beverage lines straight & be able to add more copper tube for more cooling in the tower.

What I'm going to try when my kegs dry up is to put a fan in and connect the cold air tube to one side. The goal would be to push air up one side of the copper tube and have the pressure push it back down the other tube.

I don't think there's a good way around this by adding more copper. I wish I had just did the fan on the first go around. lessons learned on my part.

Did you have to glue the top back on, I'm assuming? What did you use if so? Would you ditch the copper tubing and just make a bigger hole and run a fan into the inside hole?

Did you have to glue the top back on, I'm assuming? What did you use if so? Would you ditch the copper tubing and just make a bigger hole and run a fan into the inside hole?

No, i didn't glue the top back on but borrowed an idea from one of the reference links.

http://projectkegerator.blogspot.com/2010/08/project-kegerator.html scroll down towards the end were he talks about the hillman fasteners.

However, to note, with the copper tubes and how I setup my tower and cuts on the plastic lid, the lid is fine with no fasteners in the back. Unless you pull up on it you'd never know it wasn't fastened down. No tower sway either.

Great write up, I just have a few questions...

What size copper tubing did you use?
What size hole saw?
Approximately, how far apart were the coolant lines ?

What size copper tubing did you use?
What size hole saw?
Approximately, how far apart were the coolant lines ?

7/8" OD copper pipe
Used a 7/8" wood cutting bit
My coolant lines where 1.5" apart, but they we not perfectly parallel

If i were to do it again, I would have done a larger hole, put a fan blowing cool air up and omitted the copper from the design.

Nice work! Your thread has been a lot of help in my build I'm doing now. A few questions for you...

1. How did you attach the cabinet pulls?

2. How is the plywood attached? Is it glued to the lid? Loose? Something else?

3. For the threaded inserts in the plywood, did you purchase those as a set with bolts that fit through your tower base holes?

Sorry to revive an old thread...

Nice work! Your thread has been a lot of help in my build I'm doing now. A few questions for you...

1. How did you attach the cabinet pulls?

I bought the cabinet pulls from IKEA. They came with the cabinet pull and the screws. I mounted the machine screws with a washer under the top of the fridge panel.

2. How is the plywood attached? Is it glued to the lid? Loose? Something else?

The plywood is liquid nailed to the underside of the top of the fridge panel. I used liquid nail on the plywood and top fridge panel before I drilled the holes and put in the inserts.

3. For the threaded inserts in the plywood, did you purchase those as a set with bolts that fit through your tower base holes?

The tower hardware goes through the top part of the fridge, through the plywood and into the inserts (got those at homedepot that fit the tower mounting screws) and those 3 pieces are tightened down securely. This assembly is put back on the top of the fridge and secured / snapped back down.

<survey says>

Leave them and push them into the fridge a little more so you can get a copper T on it, then do what I did here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kegerator-keezer-fan-circulation-412148/ This will not only circulate the cold air up into the tower but it also circulates it around the fridge as well.

My tower is ice cold and since the fan is blowing the cold air through the copper pipe where the beer lines are running through, the beer in the lines all the way up to where it connects to the shanks is as cold as in the keg.

My beer lines are 10' long and are coiled up neatly on top of my keg, fridge is set to about 36 degrees with a serving pressure of 9PSI (I have a Heff brew in the keg right now) pours with a perfect amount of head.

I may modify what I did with the fan. Currently the fan is plugged into a wall socket so it's on 24/7, i want to connect it to the compressor side so it only goes on when the thermostat kicks the compressor on or throw a fan speed control on it.

I'm not going to post every step, because repomanz did an excellent job at that already. I'm just going to point out of a couple of things that I did differently in my (almost) final product.

I opted to use the existing screw holes and screw down the lid into those with longer screws. This was a PITA because it was challenging locating the precise spot to drill the hole in the lid:

9053810350_9fc76b197c.jpg

Back screw:

9051581429_71fe867729.jpg

I think repomanz did this, based on his photos, but I saw some others who didn't. Before I drilled the holes for the cabinet pulls, I made sure a pint glass could not fit between the back and side pulls:

9053811702_af74026628.jpg

And the whole shebang:

9053811326_299bc87cf6.jpg

Much thanks to repomanz for his very helpful tutorial!

Latest posts

Back