Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed this recipe, it is already so good I can't wait till I can drink it. I am having surgery so I will rack this to secondary at the end of the month and let it sit for 3 months, I have no choice on this unfortunately. I want to drink it already :)

I'm trying to make a stout similar to Maine Beer Company's Mean Old Tom. Its an American Stout aged with vanilla beans that has a great coffee taste and with a subtle vanilla finish. Do you guys think that this would be a decent base beer for that?

I'm really interested in emphasizing the coffee taste over the roasty taste, if that makes any sense.

Thx.

The bill on this is one of the better ones to start out with as a base. I have in the past added a vanilla bean to this beer, personally I like it better without, that might be just me.

If it was me I would brew this beer just as it is posted, just really good beer than finishes in a short time.

Any thoughts of brewing this and pitching on top of the yeast cake from a WLP051 from a Caramel Amber? Since Yooper seems pretty happy using 1335 I'll most likely go that route, just wondering about thoughts of using the WLP051 since I'm planning to bottle that brew sometime this week and hopefully brew this weekend, or possibly do both the same day.

I love it. I have around 3 gallons left on co2...I had a keg on beer gas I served through a stout faucet which is the way I plan to serve the 5 that don't get barrel aged.

Brewed a variation of this yesterday, i had to substitute a few ingredients because the lhbs didn't have everything on the recipe, but should be good. Can't wait to try it.

image-3311507201.jpg

image-2569213866.jpg

Thank you Yooper for this excellent recipe.

Brewed this on 8/7, my first stout, and I am just putting it away for storage while I recover from surgery.

I followed the recipe as close as I could and made no substitutions.

The numbers for this batch are:

OG of 1.053 compared to the 1.054 for this batch
FG of 1.017 compared to 1.016 for the original recipe

I blasted the secondary with CO2 before and after the transfer and will store it at 18.5C or 65.3F for 2.5 to 3 months

If I should store this at a lower temperature any help would be appreciated.

Edited: I just calibrated my hydrometer with distilled water and it read 1.002. So I subtracted .002 from my reading.

Brewed this on 8/7, my first stout, and I am just putting it away for storage while I recover from surgery.

I followed the recipe as close as I could and made no substitutions.

The numbers for this batch are:

OG of 1.053 compared to the 1.054 for this batch
FG of 1.019 compared to 1.016 for the original recipe

I blasted the secondary with CO2 before and after the transfer and will store it at 18.5C or 65.3F for 2.5 to 3 months

If I should store this at a lower temperature any help would be appreciated.

I've never stored this beer very long, so I really don't know how well it will age. It might age ok. It's a shame it couldn't be bottled before you were laid up, but it might still be very good when you're ready to drink it.

Similar question, I have some Nottingham yeast that I recently rinsed and saved. Anyone have any wisdom they can share about how that will compare to 1335 and if it'd be something to try vs. buying 1335?

Also, re: time in bottles, sounds like 1 month minimum and it hits its stride around 2-3 months. That sound right?

I brewed a Belgian oatmeal stout using a similar grain bill to this recipe this weekend with a guy from my LHBS. We changed it up a bit and we plan to enter it into a local homebrew comp in late December.

10 gallon batch

16.5 lbs 2-row
2 lbs flaked oats
1.75 lbs pale chocolate
1.5 lbs Victory
1 lb barley Flaked
1 lb crystal 75L
1 lb Midnight wheat
1 lb Cara-Pils

4.00 oz Williamette @ 60

We used a belgian dark ale yeast

I really can't wait to see how it turns out. I have never used the midnight wheat before and am really excited about it. In sampling the wort it didn't seem to leave any Roast behind which is what we were hoping for.

Ok, this is now officially the beer I have brewed most, with 22 gallons brewed to date. Just started another 11 gallons yesterday, but my LHBS only had 2 packs of Denny's Favorite, and those were both more than 2 months old. I didn't have time to make a starter, so pitched both of these into one 5.5 gallon batch (given only about 60% viability, this is significantly under pitching), and headed back to the LHBS. At this time, they didn't have either yeast choice, so went with 1084 Irish Ale strain, as it said it was supposed to be good with dark beers. Pitched 2 packs of yeast into the 2nd 5.5 gallons, so it is at least almost pitching the right amount. LHBS is rather limited at this point on their yeast selection. Never used 1084 before... we'll see how it turns out. It is at 64 degrees in the basement at this time and I will aggressively make sure it does not go above 66 degrees.

Ok, this is now officially the beer I have brewed most, with 22 gallons brewed to date. Just started another 11 gallons yesterday, but my LHBS only had 2 packs of Denny's Favorite, and those were both more than 2 months old. I didn't have time to make a starter, so pitched both of these into one 5.5 gallon batch (given only about 60% viability, this is significantly under pitching), and headed back to the LHBS. At this time, they didn't have either yeast choice, so went with 1084 Irish Ale strain, as it said it was supposed to be good with dark beers. Pitched 2 packs of yeast into the 2nd 5.5 gallons, so it is at least almost pitching the right amount. LHBS is rather limited at this point on their yeast selection. Never used 1084 before... we'll see how it turns out. It is at 64 degrees in the basement at this time and I will aggressively make sure it does not go above 66 degrees.

I've used 1084 before and i liked the results. Let us know.

I just brewed this recipe and I have a question. I almost hit my pre-boil SG: 1.044 should have been 1.046. But my post-boil SG: was 1.044 as well. Both were adjusted properly for temp. My boil started with 7 gallons and ended with 6 after the 60 minute boil. According to Brewsmith, I should have a 1.054 post-boil SG. Any ideas as to why or what might be causing this to come up short? I did let the mash go for 75 minutes instead of the normal 60 minutes just to make sure I got proper conversion.

I just brewed this recipe and I have a question. I almost hit my pre-boil SG: 1.044 should have been 1.046. But my post-boil SG: was 1.044 as well. Both were adjusted properly for temp. My boil started with 7 gallons and ended with 6 after the 60 minute boil. According to Brewsmith, I should have a 1.054 post-boil SG. Any ideas as to why or what might be causing this to come up short? I did let the mash go for 75 minutes instead of the normal 60 minutes just to make sure I got proper conversion.

Well, it's not possible that your preboil and post boil readings were the same. That means one (or both) are wrong.

What I am guessing happened is that you didn't cool the preboil sample below 100 degrees before using temperature corrections on it. If the sample was over 100 degrees, even with adjusting with software for temperature, the reading is so inaccurate as to be worthless. Next time, cool the sample in a pitcher of ice or something to 90 degrees or less, then take the reading and adjust it.

If you took both readings at room temperature, then I have no idea what's wrong!

Didn't know you had to cool the samples below 100 degrees. :eek: That's the problem. I'll correct that in the future. Thanks for the help Yooper!!

LHBS doesn't have the pale chocolate malt and are recommending a mix of brown malt and chocolate malt as subs. Yooper, do you have any other suggestions? This is my first stout and Don't have a great grasp on the darker malts yet.

They also don't have wyeast, but have pretty much all of white labs. I think they recommended WLP005. Thoughts on that or other options I should look into? Thanks in advance!

Went with S04, and the choc malt/brown malt combo to replace the pale choc. Brewing Friday, I'll let everyone know how it turns out!

Hey no worries Yoop, thanks. Found out this afternoon I had to go today if I wanted to brew Friday. I'm interested to see how the brown affects it. Sad to not experience the beauty of the pale chocolate malt though.

Hey Yooper, I'm going to be brewing this your stout this Sunday, but my local homebrew shop does not carry black barley stout. I was thinking of using black Blackprinz 500 instead, what do you think? Reading the description, sounds like it would be an ok sub.
Thanks

I brewed this i think three weeks ago, and for the past two it has been sitting at 1.038, i threw some s-04 on top and it took of again. I can't wait to drink this the samples have been wonderful.

Hey Yooper, I'm going to be brewing this your stout this Sunday, but my local homebrew shop does not carry black barley stout. I was thinking of using black Blackprinz 500 instead, what do you think? Reading the description, sounds like it would be an ok sub.

Also, no wyeast so I was thinking wlp004 or 007, can get notty too. Any opinions?

Thanks

Also, no wyeast so I was thinking wlp004 or 007, can get notty too. Any opinions?

Thanks

I've never used blackprinz, so I can't say for sure. Sorry!

I'd use WLP004, I think.

Anyone use or have an opinion of Windsor Dry yeast with this? I heard attenuation is pretty bad. Maybe I could mash at 152 and get an acceptable FG?

Back