Another Fermentation Cabinet Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czucker

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm gearing up to build a fermentation cabinet and thought I'd pass my rough design by you guys for some feedback.

Specifically, I'm not very confident with my design for the doors and how to ensure that they're closed tightly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Cabinet_r4.jpg

What's the cooling source going to be?

Also, I'm partial to standard weather stripping you can get from home depot/lowes. Then figure a way to seal the doors/tighten them down. I always seem to have a ton of velcro around and use that often...

The cooling will be handled by an old window A/C unit in one of the side.

I'm definitely going to use weather stripping around the edges of the doors.

Still not sure about getting it closed tightly though.

It's a bit of a pain in the backside when trying to open it with your hands full, but you could always go with sliding bolt locks on the top and bottom.

like this:
stock-photo-sliding-bolt-lock-1252110.jpg

Looks good, I might have to steal the design. Its a lot like what I want to do, but I'm thinking of having the top hinge open as well as the doors, and I think I'll probably cool with a fridge sticking out the side... I would just use a catch or latch to keep them doors shut..

how're you cooling this cabinet?

The cooling will be handled by an old window A/C unit in one of the side.

I'm definitely going to use weather stripping around the edges of the doors.

Still not sure about getting it closed tightly though.

Looks good. i recently found a good product for modifying A/C units into walk-in cooler type compressors here : http://www.storeitcold.com

I saw that myself recently. . . Seems a bit pricey to me.

I'm going to bypass the thermostat and get a FermTroller set up.

Common problem with window A/C units as cooling units is icing of the coils when operating below their designed temperature range. Something to keep in mind.....

If I were you I would make it a one door design. Just one less crack do deal with. Make it a long swinging door if possible. Times two on the on the weather stripping. I think the post important thing for making it seal well is your craftsmanship with the wood. make it fit dang near perfect. So when you add the stripping it just makes it snug as possible. As for the locking mechanism. I am a bit anal retentive. But I would use a coffin seal design. They use essentially a nut and bolt to seal it. Put two flanges on the opposing side from the hinges on th door. So when you put the nut and bolt on it mates the two together and forms nearly an air tight seal. Goodluck. Hopefully i gave you another way to take on your project

I really wanted to do one door initially, but the cabinet is 5' across and I worry about the hinge strength, the amount of space needed to open it, etc. . .

I am intrigued by the coffin seal idea, but I'm having a tough time visualizing it. Do you have an example that I can look at?

Latest posts

Back