Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanPDX

Reaction score
So I am trying my first long primary fermentation, Belgian Dubbel. Its been in the Primary for ~3.5 weeks, and I was thinking about putting it in my extra fridge for a few days before bottling. My question is should I let it come back up to room temp before bottling so it will carb? Or will it be fine at the lower temp? Or is cold crashing just not recommended when bottling?

It should be ok to crash it before you bottle. I recently did this with an APA and its carbing along nicely. As long as you don't use gelatin (or something similar) I can't imagine enough yeast would settle out.

Also, I bottled mine cold (~50F). Just be sure to adjust the amount of priming sugar for the colder temps, as you'll need less.

I wouldn't worry about letting temps rise before bottling. There will still be enough yeast in suspension to carb. You'll want the bottles to sit at room temp, however.

:mug:

It should be ok to crash it before you bottle. I recently did this with an APA and its carbing along nicely. As long as you don't use gelatin (or something similar) I can't imagine enough yeast would settle out.

Also, I bottled mine cold (~50F). Just be sure to adjust the amount of priming sugar for the colder temps, as you'll need less.

Even if you do use gelatin, enough yeast will remain is suspension.

My bad. I just thought i read a thread where someone said they couldn't carb because they used too much gelatin.

My bad. I just thought i read a thread where someone said they couldn't carb because they used too much gelatin.

AFAIK, filtering is about the only way to really strip all the yeast out and prevent bottle carbonation and even then you need to use under 1 micron to get ALL the yeast.

Well, that is why I corrected you: or out there now, somebody would be saying "I read in a thread somewhere not to use gelatin..." ;) As mmb said, you have to filter to remove all the yeast. I use gelatin sometimes, and my bottles carb fine.

Thanks for the quick info folks. I assume that I can use the Priming sugar Nomograph that in Palmer's book for determining how much sugar to use, using the current temp.

Back