American IPA Stone Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're worried about he hot/cold break that you have on the bottom of your primary fermenter please go to youtube and search stone ruination clone. My user name is Petrolstar78, I took a video of my fermentation a while back. It was one of the best beers I have ever done. Don't sweat it!

Wow, this stuff is good! It has a wicked amount of trub, but it's well worth it. Even the head tastes great. It also packs a wallop, so becareful.

Wow, this stuff is good! It has a wicked amount of trub, but it's well worth it. Even the head tastes great. It also packs a wallop, so becareful.

Cant wait to taste its deliciousness even at the price of the hefty wallop.

The brew is in the primary now, soon it ll meet the hoppyness of my Centennials and then straight for the bottle.

Happy brewing!

CastleBlack said:
Cant wait to taste its deliciousness even at the price of the hefty wallop.

The brew is in the primary now, soon it ll meet the hoppyness of my Centennials and then straight for the bottle.

Happy brewing!

You won't be disappointed!

I brewed this a little over a month ago with WLP007. Really struck by how pineapple-y my batch turned out, which was certainly not what I expected.

I used WLP001. The maltyness is there just enough to make the pile of Centennial amazingly good. I really don't have any fruitiness at all.

Pineapple-y? That's weird.

Hmm... mine was straight centennials up front, a smell you can tell right off the bat. I would agree with the fruity "pineappleness" if there was amarillo/simcoe in the mix.

Nonetheless sound kinda interesting to think of a fruity west coast IPA. Might be good, who knows.

Happy brewing everybody!

Couple of question on this brew.

Seems like Centennial is short on supply these days, at least at my local sources. Anybody have a suggestion on a substitute? I realize it would move away from the "clone" idea but I can settle for a good "something close" while I wait for a clone attempt.

Secondly, for dry hopping, I would rather go with leaf hops to keep the beer as clear of hop particles as I can. Should I increase the amount if using leaf form?

Thanks! I'll hang up and listen.

CastleBlack, try NikoBrew.com, he's 5$ flat rate shipping. I'm in Manassas BTW. Going to brew this recipe up next weekend though I'm going to hit 100+ IBUs. We'll see how it turns out.

btw.. I don't get why Stone classifies this as an IIPA.. it's only 7.7%, which is where I targeted my grain bill for this brew. Is it just me or or is that damn low for a double?

CastleBlack, try NikoBrew.com, he's 5$ flat rate shipping. I'm in Manassas BTW. Going to brew this recipe up next weekend though I'm going to hit 100+ IBUs. We'll see how it turns out.

Thanks for the source Scott, I ll definitely check them out. Flat $5 shipping is great and if their prices are equally low i ll place some hop orders with em.

Good to know you are in Manassas, we are not far at all. At the moment I shop 50 LB sacks of Briess 2-row from the LHBS in Falls church, they have great prices on bulk grain but steep on the specialties.

As for Ruination, yeah its not a IIPA, for American standards its actually a really typical IPA so far as gravity and everything else is concerned.

I hope your brew comes out fine, I am dry hopping tomorrow with Centennials and 10 days later its going in the bottle. Should be my Game Of Thrones brew, nice bold and super hoppy.

On the IBUs mine came out to 103.4, but i don't mind 100+ IBUs of West Coast Hoppyness!

Hope yours comes out great, keep me posted and Happy Brewing!

ScottSingleton said:
btw.. I don't get why Stone classifies this as an IIPA.. it's only 7.7%, which is where I targeted my grain bill for this brew. Is it just me or or is that damn low for a double?

The bjcp has the abv range for IIPAs listed as 7.5-10%. So it fits but is on the lower end.

Plus, back when Stone first released it, it was towards the early end of the IIPA frenzy. It was actually pretty robust for its time. And damned tasty, of course.

I had a friend taste this and new belgiums ranger and he preferred my brew! In fact he kept saying he found himself drinking it too quickly. I know they're completely different ipa's but I'll take the compliment :rockin:

I had a friend taste this and new belgiums ranger and he preferred my brew! In fact he kept saying he found himself drinking it too quickly. I know they're completely different ipa's but I'll take the compliment :rockin:

Glad your brew went well mate. I cant wait for mine to be ready! Slowly dry hopping as we speak...

Overall I think Stone brews TRUMP New Belgium, specially lately that they've gone extra-commercial. Its not about quantity its about quality.

That said Ranger is pretty good actually but its no Ruination!

Happy brewing to ya and I cant wait to post my taste test on Ruination clone!

Just got this in a glass. Has to be the most accurate clone I've ever done. I couldn't tell the difference and the testing from friends showed the same. I brewed the first recipe to the t. Well done

Just got this in a glass. Has to be the most accurate clone I've ever done. I couldn't tell the difference and the testing from friends showed the same. I brewed the first recipe to the t. Well done

Sound promising vegan, mine needs 2 more days dry hopping and then Bottling!

Also, let me ask you, how long did you dry hop for?

Thanks and happy brewing to ya.

this didn't make it into my schedule the past weekend. Ended up doing Yooper's DFH 60 recipe instead. That's my new go-to tap in the Kegerator.

Hopefully Saturday morning this will be stewing away in my pot.

CastleBlack - I've been to LHBS several times and didn't know they did bulk orders. I've either ordered mine with an order from an online retailer or done the DC area bulk-buy. My last 50# of Briess 2-row cost me ~30$.

We are starting a Manassas area Homebrew club. Check the locale forums in VA for the "Manassas Area Homebrewers" thread. First meeting is the 11th. :)

Cheers!

this didn't make it into my schedule the past weekend. Ended up doing Yooper's DFH 60 recipe instead. That's my new go-to tap in the Kegerator.

Hopefully Saturday morning this will be stewing away in my pot.

CastleBlack - I've been to LHBS several times and didn't know they did bulk orders. I've either ordered mine with an order from an online retailer or done the DC area bulk-buy. My last 50# of Briess 2-row cost me ~30$.

We are starting a Manassas area Homebrew club. Check the locale forums in VA for the "Manassas Area Homebrewers" thread. First meeting is the 11th. :)

Cheers!

Scott, you are gentleman and a scholar. I ll try and make it on the 11th. Victory lakes right?

As for the bulk buys you can totally count me in. I just got me a Rahr 50-pounder but you just cant have too much base malt, so bulk buy it is.

Cool, other than that I got brews to bring along for the 11th. Some recent stouts some recent IPA's, shall bring a sampler.

Sound promising vegan, mine needs 2 more days dry hopping and then Bottling!

Also, let me ask you, how long did you dry hop for?

Thanks and happy brewing to ya.

I dry hopped for the 7 days, but after 7, wasn't quite happy with the amount of hops smell I was getting on the beer, so I added 0.5 more ounces for 3 days then racked to a keg. It got it just to the right level.

I ended up dry hopping it for 10 days (kind of a no no) but I still felt it could have used a little more nose to smell like ruination. I even added an extra half ounce right off the bat..

I dry hopped mine for a week and thought it came out exactly how i had hoped. I was pretty bummed when the keg kicked a few weeks back. Time to make it again!

Guys, thanks for the responses.

I am dry hopping at my usual 10 day range. I like to give it a little nudge every now and then to sink the floaters. I cant say how hoppy it is just yet since I havent bottled it just yet. Tomorrow is the day though!

Thanks for the heads up and I should be posting the initial, pre-carb, taste test for this one by tomorrow. I am expecting a high gravity, very hoppy, quite bitter, dry finish, Super Ale, anything other than that would be a disappointment.

Happy brewing to ya and may your brews be Hoppy.

Had a winning comment on this beer last night. Gave a bottle to my brother and he took a sip and said, "this tastes just the that beer you gave me with the gargoyle on it."

Had a winning comment on this beer last night. Gave a bottle to my brother and he took a sip and said, "this tastes just the that beer you gave me with the gargoyle on it."

He just got initiated to the world of Stone Clones and it seems you did a really good job on this one. Keep it up and keep it hoppy!

PS: Speaking of hoppy, I ordered some Columbus rhizomes this year (next yrs crop). I 'd rather go with Centennial or Chinook but Rebel Brewer was out of stock. Made any decent CTZ IPAs?

I'm gonna have to try the extract recipe for this one. Maybe next month, after I get a couple more batches brewed (gotta get the pipeline full before I do anything else).

He just got initiated to the world of Stone Clones and it seems you did a really good job on this one. Keep it up and keep it hoppy!

PS: Speaking of hoppy, I ordered some Columbus rhizomes this year (next yrs crop). I 'd rather go with Centennial or Chinook but Rebel Brewer was out of stock. Made any decent CTZ IPAs?

Nothing with the CTZ, though I have a pound of them in the freezer. If I get something good I'll pm you.

Nothing with the CTZ, though I have a pound of them in the freezer. If I get something good I'll pm you.

thanks vegan i appreciate. I am not a bog CTZ single hop fan but i guess it bitters/complements well my favorite hops. I ll do some searching, maybe I can find something good for the both of us to brew, get rid of those Columbus.

As for the brew, Ruination Clone has now been moved to the 'Conditioning Chamber" oh yeah...

Tried the hydro sample, amazing!
then tried the bottling bucket sample, amazing!
then tried some the trube sample after I put it to "lager out" a bit so the hops would coagulate, again, Amazing!

I got a very strong alcohol taste up front (typical for my super young brews), followed by a raw hop bitterness and got the Columbus addition over the Centennials. That was a bit odd to be since there should be little to no CTZ flavor in there. Nonetheless, a very promising brew, surely cloning it again. I wonder how this would come out with some Simcoe instead of Columbus. Oh well, in any case cant wait for the 3 week sample and the 4 week unveiling!

Happy brewing to ya all.

Anyone try bairds light carastan in this or have thoughts on how it would affect the recipe? I've recently been trying the regular and light carastan in a couple recipes and like the result.

Anyone try bairds light carastan in this or have thoughts on how it would affect the recipe? I've recently been trying the regular and light carastan in a couple recipes and like the result.

I am all for experimenting Jim but I think with carastan you would get something like an english pale ale at best or a light brown ale at worse. Its just not my thing personally. I would change the c-20 its there to promote the hops I think. This beer is an IBU monster, I wouldnt want it maltier than it already it.

On the other hand I am a fool for American type ales, so there is my bias. If you make it let us know how it went.

Happy brewing to ya.

CastleBlack said:
I am all for experimenting Jim but I think with carastan you would get something like an english pale ale at best or a light brown ale at worse. Its just not my thing personally. I would change the c-20 its there to promote the hops I think. This beer is an IBU monster, I wouldnt want it maltier than it already it.

On the other hand I am a fool for American type ales, so there is my bias. If you make it let us know how it went.

Happy brewing to ya.

Thanks for the feedback. My thought process was that carastan would be more of a sweet toffee flavor with more toast whereas the C20 would be just plain sweet.

Looks like inversion ipa from deschutes uses a mix of carastan and crystal. Think I'll go this route!

Back