SG .011 lower than recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimSTi

Reaction score
I brewed up a partial mash orange cascade pale ale. Beersmith calculated 7.5 qts to mash and 5.5 for sparge. I boiled this up in a 7.5 gal turkey fryer. As you can imagine it was pretty damn full. I couldn't get a good boil going because it woulda boiled over. After cooling and filtering thru a grain bag to the bucket I got an sg of 1.049. Recipe called for 1.060. I pitched the two packs of s-04 and will let it do what its gonna do. How will this affect the beer? Just end up with a lighter beer? Anything I can do to possibly correct this or at least slightly fix it? Thanks!

It will be fine... a little lighter... but I already told you. Send it to me, I will fix it for you. This is way out of your league :D

Haha you really want my beer! I just saw your reply after posting this. This is my first "mistake" brewing so I'm a lil nervous!

Beer knows what it is doing, it has an innate sense... I am telling you, it will taste like sweet nectar when it touches your lips!

I am brewing this AG recipe again in a week or so with some 40L to replace the 10L... getting a little more color and sweetness in there. Drank a couple drafts of the ORIGINAL recipe today as well... mmm good.

Dont worry man, you did good.

T.

It will be fine. It will not be what the recipe called for so to speak.. but it will be beer and I bet it will be tasty... Well done and keep it going.

I try to be a stickler to style.

That being said...I sometimes miss. But I don't make bad or even less than good beer. Just sometimes I get a really good beer that I wasn't aiming for. Sounds like you got that.

So, 11 days later I just took my first gravity reading: 1.014. Looks like the yeast have got their job done. Going to move it to secondary tomorrow and dryhop the 2 oz's of Cascades. I tasted it and it was really good. Just a little light ;) . Can't wait for it to be bottled and carb'd!

Back