Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aeration, getting o2 into the wort for the yeast, simply put. If you are doing a partial boil kit, as most beginners, when you add water to the fermenting vessel, splash it around, whip it with a clean spoon, or check out some of the various gizmos by searching aeration. As for why, yeast need o2 to do their thing. Healthy, quick, vigorous fermentation is beautiful.

So when going all grain, is there a need to get something to aerate it a lot or is splashing sufficient?

Here's how I aerate:
DSCN0589-a.jpg

After cooling the wort to pitching temperature, I whip air into it with a wire whip until my arm is sore, then I rack to the fermenter. It's not the most high-tech method, but I bet you've got the stuff to do it in your kitchen drawer.

My last big beer took off in 4-6 hours with aeration and a healthy starter, so I figure it works pretty well for me.

doublegun said:
Aeration, getting o2 into the wort for the yeast, simply put. If you are doing a partial boil kit, as most beginners, when you add water to the fermenting vessel, splash it around, whip it with a clean spoon, or check out some of the various gizmos by searching aeration. As for why, yeast need o2 to do their thing. Healthy, quick, vigorous fermentation is beautiful.

Some where on this site I saw a video where someone was adding o2 from a Bernzomatic cylinder. Does this work well and what is the time it takes to sufficiently aerate?

Thanks

The extent of my aeration is to run my wort through a strainer when I take it to primary. I admit that I'm probably slacking a bit in this area, but I'm making beer that I like and others seem to enjoy as well, so for me, it's a step that has not become necessary yet.

jacksonvillebrew said:
Some where on this site I saw a video where someone was adding o2 from a Bernzomatic cylinder. Does this work well and what is the time it takes to sufficiently aerate?

Thanks

I bought a carbonation stone from Midwest Supplies. I boil it while I am boiling my beer and then hook it up to my Oxy cylinder from my cutting rig and hit it with about 30 sec of O2. Works great.

4539.jpg

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4539

You could do the same with those little cylinders they sell at home improvement stores but they are really expensive.

Another option is a fish pump with a HEPA filter on the intake.

Back