Kane AHA Rally - 10/19

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesIsMore

Reaction score
Anyone else here heading to the rally at Kane? Looking forward to seeing what kind of wort they're giving away. Also, if anyone is interested in meeting up and trading some homebrew, let me know.

I just RSVPd.

Love Kane's brews. I've never done anything like this before - will they tell us what kind of wort they will be giving away? I want to be sure to stock up on yeast, etc.

I was hoping to find out ahead of time so I could have a pitch of yeast ready. There was an email about the wort give away today, but no details about the wort itself.

I sent a note to the association asking about it. They said it will be a hoppy pale ale / IPA.

Nice. I'm heading to the homebrew store in a little bit. Guess I'll be picking up some Cal ale yeast. I've been wanting to try a Brett trois ipa too. Maybe I'll split the batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll be there, I'm using a Yeast Bay Funktown Pale Ale on this. Im really excited!

I'm debating it. I'll see what it smells like after two weeks in and pick up something to dry hop if I have to.

This is the recipe sheet they handed out with the wort. All experimental hops.

They also handed out a packet of hops for dry hopping. I think they were all different. I got Triskel, a French hop similar to Strisselspalt.

1413860916982.jpg

I got Bitter Gold hops, but I think I'm going to go with something else for dry hopping. I might just go with HBC 342. I couldn't really find much info about the other two varieties.

Anyone here get a gravity reading on the wort from Kane. The sheet says it's 1.068, but one of the guys in my club got 1.055. I'm wondering (but doubt) if there could have been some stratifcation or maybe Kane worried about running short, thinned it out?

I had a few plans on how to make something different from this wort, but didn't take drinking into account. By the time I got home I was lucky to have managed to transfer from keg to carboy. Didn't remember to get a gravity reading before pitching yeast, but must have pitched because there's a few inches of krausen on top.

Oh wait . . . did I sanitize the carboy? :cross:

Anyone here get a gravity reading on the wort from Kane. The sheet says it's 1.068, but one of the guys in my club got 1.055. I'm wondering (but doubt) if there could have been some stratifcation or maybe Kane worried about running short, thinned it out?

I had a few plans on how to make something different from this wort, but didn't take drinking into account. By the time I got home I was lucky to have managed to transfer from keg to carboy. Didn't remember to get a gravity reading before pitching yeast, but must have pitched because there's a few inches of krausen on top.

Oh wait . . . did I sanitize the carboy? :cross:

Ha, you must have left those photos out from your facebook page!

I wish I could have been there, as the (blurry) photo I saw looked great. :D

I got 1.055 too. My internet investigation of Kane's Facebook page revealed several other folks with the same measurement, with one even showing a picture of his refractometer reading.

Let's see if this link works:

https://www.facebook.com/KaneBrewing/posts/822146751169122

hexmonkey, thanks for the confirmation on the gravity.

And Yooper. Yes, it was a good time. Here's a better shot of our motley crew, The ANNiHiLATED.

Had a lot of fun! Kane was an excellent and generous host.

Kane Rally 2014 _ 01.jpg

hexmonkey, thanks for the confirmation on the gravity.

And Yooper. Yes, it was a good time. Here's a better shot of our motley crew, The ANNiHiLATED.

Had a lot of fun! Kane was an excellent and generous host.

Is that Tom behind Jean? I met him in Philadelphia judging the comp during the NHC. Jean looks great by the way. You just look drunk. :D Not really. Nice to "see" you again, and especially at Kane.

Is that Tom behind Jean? I met him in Philadelphia judging the comp during the NHC. Jean looks great by the way. You just look drunk. :D Not really. Nice to "see" you again, and especially at Kane.
Yeah, that's Tom. He's the club BJCP guru.

Jean had an unfair advantage at looking good. We rented a van and drove out together. She was the designated driver (that meant I got to use her tickets for extra beer) and had to put up with the rest of us while sober.

I got 1.054 on my Hanna 96811 refractometer on site and confirmed with re-calibration re-sample and hydrometer test after I got home. Adjusted pitch rate according.

I got an SG of 1.060. I pitched WL565 Saison and am considering dry hopping it. Kane has 15 barrels remaining of what they brewed and will be putting it on at the brewery tasting room. I wonder if they'll have an event for people to compare their brews?

I got an SG of 1.060. I pitched WL565 Saison and am considering dry hopping it. Kane has 15 barrels remaining of what they brewed and will be putting it on at the brewery tasting room. I wonder if they'll have an event for people to compare their brews?

There was a post on facebook pretty much saying to feel free and drop in so that they could see what you did with the wort.

They didn't have an event to compare brews, but today they did release all their versions. They put out a wheat ipa and also three variants of rally ipa with the experimental hops.

. . . also three variants of rally ipa with the experimental hops.
. . . so, how'd they taste?

About five guys from my club got the Kane wort. All fermented with different yeast. So far, the consensus is that, although not bad, it's overly bitter; with little hop flavor or aroma. Unfortunate, because it would have been nice to have gotten something from the experimental hops they used. To me the finish borders on astringent, more so than bitter, but that was before dry hopping and without much conditioning time. We have a meeting coming up next week and will be able to compare the dry hopped versions with a little more time on their side. Hope that will help on the aroma and some perceived flavor and smooth out the finish.

I totally agree and I am relieved by your comments. I did a Yeast Bay Funktown blend that left me wondering if I did something. I had it at a week around 66-68 tge held for another week at 72. Took a sample before cold crashing (started that yesterday), and thought something was off. It started sweet and interesting but got weird after that. I was thinking the almost astringent flavor was from the brett but maybe I'm ok. I'll be transferring it to a secondary tomorrow and dry hopping for a week with one of the hops they gave out to hopefully have this bottle conditioned by thanksgiving for a taste with friends.

. . . so, how'd they taste?

About five guys from my club got the Kane wort. All fermented with different yeast. So far, the consensus is that, although not bad, it's overly bitter; with little hop flavor or aroma. Unfortunate, because it would have been nice to have gotten something from the experimental hops they used. To me the finish borders on astringent, more so than bitter, but that was before dry hopping and without much conditioning time. We have a meeting coming up next week and will be able to compare the dry hopped versions with a little more time on their side. Hope that will help on the aroma and some perceived flavor and smooth out the finish.

I never made it there...:( Maybe theyll still have them on tap next week. Just saw the beer list for saturday

Back