deer bacon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made elk bacon one year and the time involved did not meat (pun intended) did not meat teh results. too much time for the results.

just my opinion.

I had flank steak that I rolled with pork fat after brining, tieing and smoking. it tasted great but was not worth the work.

I would imagine that deer is far too lean to make bacon from. Could be wrong though.

I don't think it would be very good. On a lean deer that has to work for it's food, the fat is the worst tasting part. When I clean my deer, I make sure to get all the fat and silverskin off. On a fat happy pig, the fat is delicious because they just sit around all day and eat.

I've made venison bacon with this seasoning kit.

It produces something different from traditional bacon in that it's ground, formed, smoked, and then sliced. I added pork, pork fat, and some beef to my mix. It's almost more of a thin sliced sausage, but it is good.

I know some local deer processing shops make a similar product, which I'd like to compare someday.

I've made venison bacon with this seasoning kit.

It produces something different from traditional bacon in that it's ground, formed, smoked, and then sliced. I added pork, pork fat, and some beef to my mix. It's almost more of a thin sliced sausage, but it is good.

I know some local deer processing shops make a similar product, which I'd like to compare someday.

Sounds like it would be good but I don't know how anyone could ever consider calling it bacon.

+1 for curlys bacon kit. Follow directions to a t and you will be fine. I typically cut out a portion of pork on the sausage recipoes as I like my stuff to tase like venison not pork. Here you need the fat. Its great. Mine came out too dry the first time so I grind it and make 50/50 burgers with it.

Back