First Batch - Is this "normal" or "contamination"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Clay

Reaction score
My first batch has been in the primary for 9 hours. I pitched at 78F with Whitelabs 550 (Belgian Ale Yeast) that had been in a DME starter for ~20 hours. The Primary temp has dropped to 70F (which is about my target).

I'm surprised to see so much activity on the surface of my Primary already. I'm getting gas out of the blow tube...about two or three bubbles a minute. I'm guessing that this is how it is "supposed" to look, but could someone just take a look at these photos and reassure me? (Or warn me if it is likely contamination!)

The orange stuff is orange zest, it's the white spots that look kinda spooky to me. I'm sure it's just noob nervousness, so humor me! :eek:

http://picasaweb.google.com/BitsOfLife/HomeBrew/photo#5102839130345820338

Im inclined to say everything is ok, but post those pics.

Good job making a starter on your first batch.

Strange..the pics were there the first time I checked. Uh.

Anyway, I posted a link to the pic and I'll try to repost the pic in this post as well.

(edit: Oh well, technical difficulties. I'll post here as soon as I get a clue :eek:

That pic was at 9 hours?

You should be ok. See what its doing in the morning.

Carboys just make you worry.

Yeasts are related to fungi & they're nasty looking while at work.

Back