Good Article about growing hops and tools of the trade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtswkd

Reaction score
I married into a family that used to grow a lot of hops in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. After my wife's grandfather passed away her grandmother switched into the nursery wholesale shrub business, but her uncle still makes a hoe specifically for hop growers by hand. I have one myself, used it for vegetable and its great. Not trying to get him any business or anything, just thought you guys would appreciate some history and information from a long line of hops growers.

http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2012/04/leo-sprauers-hop-hoe.html?spref=fb&m=1

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I live 20 minutes away from Mt.Angel and will go out tomorrow and try to pick one up. Sounds very useful.

I have two of the hoes, they are good for more than hops. I gave one of them away to a produce farmer I worked for in Missouri growing up and its been 7 years of hard use and its still going.
I love going out there, beautiful country and if you have some spare time the abbey there has a very weird museum in a basement around the back of the compound.

my dad always told me there was a lot to be said about a good Hoe...and he was talking about the gardening variety. :)

Back