Poured my stir bar into my fermenter!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
Ok, so I just used my new stir plate for the first time on Saturday. As I was cleaning up, I realized I couldn't find my stir bar anywhere... then realized I poured it into the fermenter when pitching the yeast :-/ Has anyone else ever done this? If so, will it have any negative impact? My stir bar is Teflon coated. Meh...

IrregularPulse said:
This happens all the time. This is why most of us have multiples :) And no worries, it's sat in your starter (beer) didn't it?

Ahh, that was so good to hear! Now I just have to remember to get them out of my yeast cake- I actually did this to 2 batches on Sat, I was just embarrassed to admit it ;)

Cheers!

Let me put it this way....I posted this last year...

Stirbar.jpg

The beer is fantastic.

I did that, but was able to get it out with an extra hard drive magnet. Slide it along the bottom of the fermentor until you hear it attach then slide it up the side. If you do it before there is a big cake you should be fine. The only harm that can come from leaving it in there, is you may forget and dump it later.

If you have two stir bars - a nice little trick is to hold one on the outside of the flask (right by the other bar), it keeps the other stir bar in place so you don't have to try and be careful when pouring the starter out.

the worst part of doing this is when you accidentally dump your stirbar down the drain in 3 weeks.......

mark that fermenter with a post-it note or something!!

If you'd like to send the "potentially" bad stir bar and beer to me I'll take care of them for you.

I always do that. Just use a fridge magnet to draw it up the side and pull it out. Or wait unit you rack the beer else where. I was afraid of forgetting that it was left in there.

Only an idiot would pour their stir bar into their fermenter. Only a total baboon ass (Like me) would insult half the forum by calling them idiots because they all did exactly that.

I lost my o2 stone the fermenter once. I thought "No big deal. I'll just get it out later." That was three years ago. I think it is in the compost pile somewhere. I like the post-it note idea.

FWIW, I haven't poured my into my fermenter because I did lab work before homebrewing. So I poured the company's stir bar down the sink, more than once. Good thing those sinks had easy to remove drain traps.
If you remember, hold another stir bar or magnet to the bottom or side of the starter, it'll keep the stir bar inside the bottle when you pour (make sure the inside stir bar is attracted to the outside magnet first :) )

+1 on using a magnet to get it out if you really want to. Also, you can hold a magnet against the flask when you're pouring next time to keep it from happening again, or use the magnet to get it out of the flask before you pour so you don't have to worry about it at all.

Back