Too Impatient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancers7x

Reaction score
So this is my first brew and I have already found myself deviating from the recipe.

The recipe called for 2 weeks in the primary followed by 2 weeks in the secondary. I already cut a few days off of the primary as the FG was steady and where it should be, and now I plan on cutting the secondary a few days short as well and going ahead and bottling this evening.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who is too damn impatient to follow directions!!

Not the first, and wont be the last. I held out on my first one, by buying a bunch of craftbrews I had been wanting to try. That was enough to keep me away from it. Although once it was bottled, I did try a few before the 3 weeks it was suppose to have for carbination.

Well, you're certainly correct to trust the hydrometer over an arbitrary time period, however you just have to hang in there regarding the rest of the wait. I've been brewing for 2 years and am now just getting to the point where I can get my head around the concept of aging. You'll get there.

So this is my first brew and I have already found myself deviating from the recipe.

The recipe called for 2 weeks in the primary followed by 2 weeks in the secondary. I already cut a few days off of the primary as the FG was steady and where it should be, and now I plan on cutting the secondary a few days short as well and going ahead and bottling this evening.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who is too damn impatient to follow directions!!

What kind of beer are you making? I think some types of beers really need that extra time (especially lagers, and higher gravity ales) and other beers can be bottled/kegged in very little time (low gravity ales).

What kind of beer are you making? I think some types of beers really need that extra time (especially lagers, and higher gravity ales) and other beers can be bottled/kegged in very little time (low gravity ales).

American Amber Ale. OG was 1.048.

I am have an issue with waiting as well. I have 4 batches in primarys and just got all my pieces for the keezer build and am dying to keg something. I have a honey ale thats been in primary for 14 days and a hefe thats been in for 7. Not sure if I can wait

It's definitely not easy. Building a pipeline helps. I've got a Blond Ale and a Raspberry Wheat that have been in primary for 3 weeks even through gravity readings have been steady. I've also got a Brown Ale that is at 2 weeks in the primary and will be brewing a Pale Ale tomorrow.

I'm going to bottle the Raspberry Wheat tomorrow. That will help me hold off another week until I bottle or keg the Blond Ale.

My mindset is to give everything enough time to make it taste as best as possible. I'd rather wait longer and have a good beer than rush it and be disappointed.

cleinen said:
I am have an issue with waiting as well. I have 4 batches in primarys and just got all my pieces for the keezer build and am dying to keg something. I have a honey ale thats been in primary for 14 days and a hefe thats been in for 7. Not sure if I can wait

I am in a similar situation, 1 in the primary and 2 in secondaries and am building my keezer, just got all new kegging equipment and can't wait to keg instead of bottle!! I actually have 12 bottles from late summer 2009 though left that I had brewed.

First beer, I brewed a pale ale, cut a couple days off of the suggested 14 day primary (left it a total of 10-11 days, this was my only kit beer to date), put it directly to bottles with priming sugar, 5 days later I popped one open and tried it, tried another a couple days later, then I waited a week and tried again, then again...

I am the definition of impatient.

That first beer I opened was plain flat and bitter but from my impatience I learned beer patience, what a "green" beer tastes like and how over time the taste improves along with body. I had one Wednesday night, it was delicious! That would be a little over 1 month total since its brew date. I'm giving the rest of the batch until Mardigras weekend then she's going down between me and the misses!! If you're insistent to bottle today and can't hold out any longer, and with that type of beer, go for it; it won't kill you or your beer. Drink 1 next week and learn that taste, the smell and tell tale signs of a green beer that needs time. Have another 5-7 days later, then do it again. Over time it will improve and it will be very noticeable to you.

Something I've found that helps with impatience, I'm calling it my "fix" haha, brew a frequent Hefeweizen. An all extract batch, or with a specialty grain added, is very cheap / easy to do, simple to manipulate and alter and get a little wild with, and the best part is that beer usually is at its best young. My Clementine Hefe was brewed on February 5th and last night at dinner with friends, a unanimous decision was made that it tasted fantastic, actually may have recruited a couple buddies into the hobby as well, wasn't even trying to (I would like to issue a formal apology to their wives and girlfriends now; I'm sure I'll be catching hell for it soon)

+1 with mlyday as well - a mixer sixer or 2 always helps..

Best of luck!

I brewed a Hefe last Saturday. Maybe I will keg it Sunday and leave the others sit and that will tide me over.

American Amber Ale. OG was 1.048.

IMO, American ales can be produced in a very small amount time. I just recently submitted a pale ale to a competition. The competition was only 14 days after the yeast was pitched. It was in primary for only 10 days and then in the bottle for only 4 days!!! I beat the other 5 american ales that were submitted. It wasn't an amazing score (only 34), but the only thing the judges said they didn't like was that it didn't have enough of a malt backbone (it didn't)! I gave samples to some of the other judges outside of the competition and they said the same thing. ("Great beer... just needs some more specialty malt to be a pale ale.")

I just made the same recipe again with a bit extra caramel malt, and I am going to bottle it tonight... after only 9 days in primary, and you can bet your @$$ that I am going to drink at least one on Monday (if not before then).

Yes, there are definitely times when you want to condition beers... but if you don't want to wait, then don't. There is plenty of time left in our lives to make and condition beers, but I'm planning on building up a huge pipeline before I get to that point.

Jsmith82 said:
If you're insistent to bottle today and can't hold out any longer, and with that type of beer, go for it; it won't kill you or your beer.

not entirely true. If fermentation hasn't finished when you bottle it, you can get bottle bombs, which are both messy and dangerous, not to mention a waste of beer! Bottle earlier than recommended by all means, but make sure fermentation is finished first!

mikebowman said:
not entirely true. If fermentation hasn't finished when you bottle it, you can get bottle bombs, which are both messy and dangerous, not to mention a waste of beer! Bottle earlier than recommended by all means, but make sure fermentation is finished first!

Absolutely correct, his fg was steady and he had racked to a secondary which is why I suggested it but yeah, bottle bombs? No good. Wasting beer? Punishable in some states.

2814-img-7858.jpg

This beer was brewed 13 days ago. The yeast was pitched 12 days ago. I bottled it on Friday!

It turned out great!!! It will be even better in a few more days, but it is still very drinkable!

2814-img-7858.jpg

This beer was brewed 13 days ago. The yeast was pitched 12 days ago. I bottled it on Friday!

It turned out great!!! It will be even better in a few more days, but it is still very drinkable!

You are deluding yourself. Your beer isn't great. It might be better than any you had previously but save some for a month or even two and then sample.:mug:

I'm only on my 4th day of bottle conditioning on my Raspberry Wheat and I already want to open one. I won't since I know I'll be disappointed but it is damn tempting.

We all have the same problem it seems. I just last night finished the last bottle of my first batch which was a Big Bitchy Blonde Ale. The problem Im having now is that I am bottling the Canadian Ale Aye this Sunday which puts me a minimum of 3 weeks after that before I can have another home brew. But I know a beer store that is between my job and my home that has a really nice selection of Micro and craft brews to chose from.
Now here is a question.
Anybody know where I can get some patients?

You are deluding yourself. Your beer isn't great. It might be better than any you had previously but save some for a month or even two and then sample.:mug:

No, I've made this beer 3 times. It peaks around 1-2 weeks in the bottle and then the hop flavor and aroma starts disappearing and it is all down hill from there.

In the immortal words of Yota, slightly revised: "Now, Young Brewer, you must patience learn."

And THAT is the hardest part of brewing! But, I've got enough homebrew around here to help with my lack of patience. I think we're all guilty of having a lack of that stuff!

glenn514:mug:

In the immortal words of Yota, slightly revised: "Now, Young Brewer, you must patience learn."

And THAT is the hardest part of brewing! But, I've got enough homebrew around here to help with my lack of patience. I think we're all guilty of having a lack of that stuff!

glenn514:mug:

I think it would be: "Patience, you must learn!"

Anybody know where I can get some patients?
I suggest going to the clinic and try stealing them from another Dr.

But if you're looking for patience, get another batch going asap. Overlapping them and building a pipeline is how you deal with the time it takes. Or just brew for a couple years and the specialness of it all goes away combined with you knowing you're doing you beer a disservice by drinking it early.

LOL... you guys should get into lambics! Try waiting upwards of three years.

I gotta turbid mash lambic in a barrel in my basement a few of us brewed up that's been down there about 9 months now and it has another 2+ years to go.

We'll do another one this summer and each following summer so we can blend them for guezes.

LOL... you guys should get into lambics! Try waiting upwards of three years.

I gotta turbid mash lambic in a barrel in my basement a few of us brewed up that's been down there about 9 months now and it has another 2+ years to go.

We'll do another one this summer and each following summer so we can blend them for guezes.

I'm going to do a barleywine sometime in the next few weeks and I plan on aging most of it for over 9 months, but I am quite certain that some of the bottles will not make it past 3 weeks.

I'm going to do a barleywine sometime in the next few weeks and I plan on aging most of it for over 9 months, but I am quite certain that some of the bottles will not make it past 3 weeks.

... I'll bet you one bottle doesn't make it past three weeks... cause after you try a 3 week old barleywine, you won't want another one until they're ready.

You can drink some beers green... others, you can't. A Barleywine is one you can't. It'll be horrible.

... I'll bet you one bottle doesn't make it past three weeks... cause after you try a 3 week old barleywine, you won't want another one until they're ready.

You can drink some beers green... others, you can't. A Barleywine is one you can't. It'll be horrible.

Do you know that from personal experience? I'd very much like to hear about it!

I do...

Big ABV, big malt beers need a lot of time to mature and mellow out. You try to drink a three week old barleywine and it'll taste like sugary gasoline with a touch of a$$ in it. Off the top of my head the only real "big beer" (10%+ abv) that is drinkable early is maybe a monster IPA. Other than that, the yeast just did an a$$ton of work and need time to clean up their mess. In addition, beers like that need thetime for the alcohol to mellow out and blend in with the malt background.

Aging beers is done for very real reasons. Beer will change dramtically over time in a bottle and that change is usually what makes a style a style.... And barleywines are a perfect example.

Hell... I just bought a case of Bigfoot an I'm not planning on opening a single one for a couple of years. I have two older Bigfoots... One from 2000 and one from 2001. I hve Celebration Ales from '99 and '00. I have Stateline barleywines from '05.

Thats when they start getting good.

Oh, and sorry.... From personal experience, our club does a "big beer" group brew every year and ages it in an oak barrel. We dont bottle it until it is at least a year old. I have an '07 barleywine we made, an '08 braggot, an '09 quad and the RIS is still in the barrel. And they all get better with each passing year

I do...

Big ABV, big malt beers need a lot of time to mature and mellow out. You try to drink a three week old barleywine and it'll taste like sugary gasoline with a touch of a$$ in it. Off the top of my head the only real "big beer" (10%+ abv) that is drinkable early is maybe a monster IPA. Other than that, the yeast just did an a$$ton of work and need time to clean up their mess. In addition, beers like that need thetime for the alcohol to mellow out and blend in with the malt background.

Aging beers is done for very real reasons. Beer will change dramtically over time in a bottle and that change is usually what makes a style a style.... And barleywines are a perfect example.

Hell... I just bought a case of Bigfoot an I'm not planning on opening a single one for a couple of years. I have two older Bigfoots... One from 2000 and one from 2001. I hve Celebration Ales from '99 and '00. I have Stateline barleywines from '05.

Thats when they start getting good.

Oh, and sorry.... From personal experience, our club does a "big beer" group brew every year and ages it in an oak barrel. We dont bottle it until it is at least a year old. I have an '07 barleywine we made, an '08 braggot, an '09 quad and the RIS is still in the barrel. And they all get better with each passing year

Thanks for the response. What temperature do you age your barleywines at?

I think "cellar temps" are fine. My basement, even in the hottest months, doesn't get up over 70 degrees. Over the course of a year the basement will slowly shift from the mid 50's to maybe the mid 60's depending on the month, and I think those temps are fine.

I don't think colder would hurt them at all but I wouldn't want them spending any time at 70 or higher.

Back