Head not sticking around/or hardly forming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
I have two separate beers from Edwort. One is his Bavarian wheat and the other is the robust porter. While both have carbonation to style, neither want to hold a head ahead, and if it does it's a tiny layer of a head.

Any suggestions? Only these two beers seem to be having issues holding a head, all the others are good/too freaking much and the carbonation is good too.

I usually throw 4-8 oz's of carapils/dextrin to keep head reasonable. I also stick to common brewery cleaners(pbw,green oxiclean, etc) and away from any kind of soap/detergent as that seems to kill head retention too.
Cheers,
Dave

That's odd about the Bavarian. Wheat ales usually have amazing head retention. Did you hit the mash temps dead on? Scratch that. For a second i was thinking protein rests for better head, but that shouldn't matter. I'm interested to see what the pros say.

Check this out:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/little-no-head-retention-137803/

The wheat I had a lot of issues maintaining mash temps, still finished higher than edworts did, and the Porter has a half pound of flaked barely in it but I did get crap effeciency on that one.

Back