Lager Not Started after 60 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
So I had a thread about pitching and starters for this lager and after input from posters I created a starter from the total wort (too late I know), pitched yeast, waited 24 hours and pitched starter (no visible signs of fermentation yet).

It has been 60 hours since I pitched the starter and still no signs of fermentation (krausen, airlock, etc...)

Since this is my first cold fermentation (~54F) I am starting to freak out. Is this a normal time to take before things get going?

Original thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/pitching-3-days-after-brewing-ok-screwed-192134/

You are freaking out, step away from the beer, it will take a while, RDWHAHB for another week. Actually, it is probably fermenting now and you don't know it . . . . Someone said once you could take a hydrometer reading to check this . . . . I wouldn't worry about that either for another week. Lagers can sometimes show very little signs of fermentation, especially early on.

You are freaking out, step away from the beer, it will take a while, RDWHAHB for another week. Actually, it is probably fermenting now and you don't know it . . . . Someone said once you could take a hydrometer reading to check this . . . . I wouldn't worry about that either for another week. Lagers can sometimes show very little signs of fermentation, especially early on.

yes. this is correct.

lager fermentation looks much different than ale. since the wort is cooler it can hold more co2 in solution, therefore it takes longer for the liquid to reach saturation and start releasing co2...which is what causes airlock activity after enough pressure builds up in the headspace.

Colo's right, you NEED to relax. This is a hobby, it's supposed to be fun. The yeast is MUCH hardier than you think it is....You need to get that into your head.

Go read this first!!! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/little-over-48-hours-184027/#post2131342

Now as to your CURRENT paranoia,

Just like in the fermenter, starter fermentation isn't always dynamic...It doesn't matter one blip in your fermenter or your starter flask if the airlock bubbles or not (if you are using an airlock and not tinfoil,) or if you see a krauzen. In fact starter fermentation are some of the fastest or slowest but most importantly, the most boring fermentations out there. Usually it's done withing a few hours of yeast pitch...usually overnight when we are sleeping, and the starter looks like nothing ever happened...except for the little band at the bottom. Or it can take awhile...but either way there's often no "activity" whatsoever....

I usually run my stirplate for the first 24 hours, then shut it down, if you are spinning your starter it is really hard to get a krausen to form anyway, since it's all spinning, and there's often a head of foam on it from the movement.

All that really matters is that creamy band o yeast at the bottom.

rsz_yeast_starter_chilled_001.jpg

This is a chilled sample so it's flocculated, but even with an unchilled sample you should see a band of yeast at the bottom.

As it is I've only ever seen two krausens actually on my starter, and the evidence of one on the flask at the "waterline" once. But I've never not had a starter take off.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

:)

I claim no expertise since this is my first lager, but I had a similar issue this week with my Vienna lager and wyeast munich yeast. Pitched a 1.5L starter on Sunday night into 44 degree wort and nothing happening as of Wed. night after letting it rise to 50 degrees. I let her warm up to 60 degrees in my temp controlled chest freezer based on another thread I read on here and had fermentation kick up within 24 hours. I dropped it back to 50 degrees and it is chugging along nicely now. I will have to do a diacetyl rest now from what I understand, but that is ok.

still not started as of this morning :(

Drink 3 beers, re-read everyones previous posts up there ^, drink 3 more beers, wait 1 week before looking at your lager or this thread again (RDWHAHB all this week). Then take a hydrometer sample, then come back here and tell us all, I told you so.

My friend, you have to slow down 600% when it comes to lagers, especially the ones with questionable timing and pitch rates.:mug:

Back