Coopers help, please...!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirquack

Reaction score
For those familiar with Coopers kits, I'm needing a little help. I've made about 4 different kits now from Coopers and have had great results. My latest kit I tried was the more expensive Traditional Draught, that comes with LME and Dextrose.

Everything started out well about 14 days ago and my initial reading was 1.042. My room downstairs is about 21C or 70deg F all the time this summer, so based on past experience it usually finishes fermenting after about 8 days.

About 5 days ago I noticed the water levels in my s-lock had evened out, and I noticed some crud along the upper fermentor, which is normal. I took my final reading, which is normally in the green (finished) area of the provided coopers hydrometer, and was suprised to find it only at 1.02, so I let it sit for a few more days, and today it is at the same reading.

I don't think fermentation finished, there looks to be yeas floating on the top, and the beer still smells like the syrup when I started. I even took a little taste out of the spicket and it didn't tast to bad for not being carbonated.

Anyway, I don't know what to do, I hope it is not ruined. I called Makebeer.net where I purchased it, but they don't work on weekends. do I need to add more yeast? I only have another packet of coopers yeast that came with an Irish Stout kit I was going to make today, so want to use that for that kit. Can I use bread yeast, or do I need to run to the brew store and find some other yeast.

Any help asap would be MUCH appreciated...

Regards, Randy

ps: my keezer is done, and sad I don't have the draught finished to keg. :(

I'd go buy a package of dry yeast like Safale S05 and rehydrate and pitch it. The yeast that comes with those kits can often be old. In fact I would always use a better and fresher packet of yeast with kits. Eventually you will find more satisfaction and better beer when you move away from Coopers. As I recall I did about 4 of those before moving on.

Thanks, at this time I don't plan to do All Grain brewing, based on other things going on in my life. I've been very satisfied with Extract, and Partial-Extract brewing. Anyway, I talked to the owner of Beer Crazy, people from Iowa will know who I'm talking about, and I gently stirred everything to get the yeast back in suspension, added a little dextrose to prime a bit, and I'm hopefull this will finish the fermentation process. Then I made up a batch of their Irish Stout, which has very favorable reviews online, even one from a guy just down the street from the Guiness brewery.

Just got back from the fireworks tonight, our town has a parade/fireworks the night before the 4th. Anyway, stiring the yeast back into suspension and adding a little priming dextrose got things going again. The S lock is going crazy again and hopefully in a few more days my final reading will be good. Also, the Irish Stout starting fermenting already.

cheers

Back