Brew Noob from Chicago, IL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRoyLenz

Reaction score
Hey All!

I wanted to say "hi", for I am brand new to the forums here, but absolutely love some of the things I've read so far. I've just received my first equipment kit in the mail the other day, and I'm very excited to start my first batch this afternoon. I will be starting off with an Irish Red Ale, which, as I understand it, is a very common homebrew.

My equipment kit includes a 6.5 gallon fermenter, 6.5 gallon bottling bucket, 5 gallon glass carboy, and many of the other essential starter supplies, like bottle filler, auto-siphon, cleaning supplies, etc. From the sound of it, a pretty standard starters package.

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum, and I look forward to working with you all in the future!

Dave

welcome lots of knowledge in these forums if you don't find an answer in the existing threads don't be afraid to ask

Well, if I HAVE to pick, I'm going with Cubs. My reasons are two-fold. I hail originally from Detroit, and I'm a Tiger's fan, so I can't POSSIBLY support the Sox. Secondly, when I moved to the city, I moved to Wrigleyville, so naturally I ended up going to a few games.

For you Chicago brewers, where do you typically go for your supplies? I used Midwestern Supplies and ordered online for my equipment kit. They were great, but I was hoping there was a local storefront I could use for any one-off needs. I live in Roger's Park now, if that helps you at all.

welcome lots of knowledge in these forums if you don't find an answer in the existing threads don't be afraid to ask

Thank you. Everyone seems very welcoming here, and I'm glad to see so much help is available.

Sweet, looks like Illinois made a big move this week!

Im out in the far west burbs. Get my stuff at the HomeBrew Shop in St. Charles. I have to, I work there :cross:

For you Chicago brewers, where do you typically go for your supplies? I used Midwestern Supplies and ordered online for my equipment kit. They were great, but I was hoping there was a local storefront I could use for any one-off needs. I live in Roger's Park now, if that helps you at all.

I have no idea where Rogers Park is because I just moved here a year ago. Spent the last year in Humboldt Park, and am now moving to West Town/Ukranian village.

I do most of my shopping online, but Brew and Grow on Besly Ct isn't too bad. Its close to me, has a decent selection, and the prices aren't terrible.

Online, I use Austin Homebrew Supply, midwest, brewmasterswarehouse or northern brewer. I try to plan at least three beers out and also order with a friend.

I have gone to a couple of places. If you don't have a car the Brew and Grow on Besly Ct is probably the only option. It is between Ashland and Elston on Courtland. It is good for getting something last minute that you need in order to brew. I don't usually get my whole brew materials from there.

If you have a car there is a place called Bev Art down (I think that it is like 107th and western).

Wow, great, thanks for the help guys! I think I'll check out that place on Besly Ct. sometime this weekend and see what they have to offer.

Let me know if you guys ever want to share any ideas or tips!

Thanks again!

From a Chicago noob - Brew and Grow was alright to me when I first needed equipment. Go on a Saturday and the guy there was pretty helpful. He even recommended to me a copy of Charlie Papazian's book. The guys as the counter are less helpful and have a bit of attitude.

If you are carless like me, it's only worth it if you live in the Wicker Park area or a similarly convenient location. Otherwise, it's a PITA.

They don't have a whole lot anyway, so I have been buying online. Even with shipping, it's about the same price for a better selection.

I am carless, so I was unable to get to any of the LHBS this past weekend. I'm doing alright with online shopping, so, unless I find myself in the area, I won't make it a point to go.

I just found out about this AleFest thing at Soldier Field next weekend. Has anybody attended in past years? I'm definitely interested, and I think I'm going to check it out.
AleFest - Chicago

welcome to the board. I'm also a noob on the board, but not to brewing. I'm from Rockford, not too far from you Chicago guys and gals.

I use Brew n' Grow in Rockford too. It seems like I'm in there once a week buying something new. They don't have major stuff, but most of the ingredients I need are in stock. My only complaint on stock is their hops selection is usually low.

As for their service...I get the same thing in Rockford as was described in Chi. The owner seems to know a lot, but the rest of the staff all seem clueless. When I first started kegging, I had a lot of questions for them and everyone I went to gave me a different answer. I think the store is more meant for growing than brewing.

Welcome friend!

I generally go to the Brew and Grow to pick up my supplies. I live in a walk up apartment building and there's no way for UPS/Fedex to leave packages in the entry way, so I'm nervous about receiving stuff. I live in a nice neighborhood (North Center), but who wants to throw away money. Although, I just had a thought, do most online supply stores offer USPS as a shipping method? They have a key as the mailboxes are in the entry way. I'll have to think about this...

Also with Brew and Grow, they're nice enough, usually have what I want, and on Saturdays, the brew master offers you some of his recently made beers. I tried an IPA of his this past Saturday and he gave me some ideas for the IPA I made the next day. I also HATE driving out to the suburbs, so B&G is my only option in town.

Also with Brew and Grow, they're nice enough, usually have what I want, and on Saturdays, the brew master offers you some of his recently made beers. I tried an IPA of his this past Saturday and he gave me some ideas for the IPA I made the next day. I also HATE driving out to the suburbs, so B&G is my only option in town.

Yeah, the brew master is nice. They also have a nice catalog of recipes. But, I think the rest of the staff is standoffish.

Latest posts

Back