Never ask a friend to...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vukota

Reaction score
I registered here just now because about 10 min ago I was transfering my "corona clone" into a secondary fermenter and my buddy misunderstood me when I was explaining the homebrew process. After I finished racking to the second, he dumped my bottling primer into the fermenter! I am "newer" to this but am I to assume that the batch is ruined? Help anyone?
V

I registered here just now because about 10 min ago I was transfering my "corona clone" into a secondary fermenter and my buddy misunderstood me when I was explaining the homebrew process. After I finished racking to the second, he dumped my bottling primer into the fermenter! I am "newer" to this but am I to assume that the batch is ruined? Help anyone?
V

I don't understand what you mean. You racked the beer, and then he added the bottling sugar?

You're not bottling today? You had the sugar all dissolved, or did he just dump in a few ounces of sugar?

If he just dumped in 5 ounces of sugar, it'll be fine. Just let it ferment out, and buy more sugar to prime with in a couple of weeks!

Sorry. Yes I have a lot of frustration and anger with him right now. While I was racking into the secondary,I was explaining how natural carbonation results from adding sugar at the bottling process. He saw "glass carboy" and thought "bottle process" and dumped in the priming sugar while I was elevating the racking cane. 3/4 cup of sugar. Will it affect the alcohol content?

Welcome to HBT! Sorry but that is just a tiny bit funny. To me, not to you I'm sure. ;)
It shouldn't effect your brew much at all. Ferment the sugar our for a couple weeks and proceed as normal. Don't forget to buy more priming sugar.

Sorry. Yes I have a lot of frustration and anger with him right now. While I was racking into the secondary,I was explaining how natural carbonation results from adding sugar at the bottling process. He saw "glass carboy" and thought "bottle process" and dumped in the priming sugar while I was elevating the racking cane. 3/4 cup of sugar. Will it affect the alcohol content?

They're right- it'll be fine. Just wait at least a week or two, to make sure it fermented all the way, and to clear up a bit and condition, since you just moved it to secondary.

You may have increased your ABV by about .25% or so.

Actually... I steeped for 30 min a tarsal gland from the deer I took on the bowhunt last year. It adds a nutty flavor you can't reproduce with skunk. JK

time heals most beers.

You have to mess up pretty seriously to toss a batch. About the only thing that cannot be recovered from is an infection, and I am sure that several people can tall you how to recover from that even!

You will be just fine. And regardless of what these others say, I like Corona as well. Never had a skunky one in Mexico, but they seem to be a bit too common here.

Was talking to a guy at work (who I turned on to homebrewing) this AM. He brewed his first batch over the weekend. Bought a kit. Added the prming sugar to the fermenter just prior to the yeast.

We was worried too. The yeast will eat that up. No harm done for a first batch!!

Latest posts

Back