Mixed Yeast into Wort... ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscade

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I did my first full boil 5 gallon batch. I somehow miscalculated my initial boil volume and ended up having to boil down for quite a while before I started adding my hops. That all turned out right, and I ended up right at 5 gallons.

Because of the long boil it was like 12:30am by the time I was finally siphoning into my carboy. I poured my activated slurry of dry yeast into the carboy when it was only about 1/2 full. So the yeast got mixed in very well, especially since I sloshed the contents well to oxygenate after finishing the siphon.

Normally I just pitch on top, I have no idea why I did it differently this time. Tired I guess! It hasn't been long enough to expect fermentation to be happening yet.

Was this a Really Bad Idea™?

If I have to I can run out (2 hours round trip) and buy more yeast while there's still a chance. Thoughts?

This is an American IPA, measured SG 1.070.

Sounds like the only thing they got was a nice wort shower before starting work. If they're like me a good shower will wake them up and make them ready to work.

Yep, pitched at 77f so temp was peachy. Everything went swell really, despite the long boil I feel really good about this batch. Six hop additions, spaced out over the whole boil. SG a little higher than expected, not going to complain about that! And doing a full boil was really nice.

The only reason I was concerned is I woke up this morning thinking Crap! I wonder if the yeast is supposed to lay on top, picking up oxygen from the air in the carboy until it gets going or something...

Mainly my process just changed and it made me paranoid. Can you tell?

Thanks again y'all. :mug:

Latest posts

Back