Naturally Carbing Kegs - Where does the yeast go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
I've been force carbing my beer since I got kegs. (Only 3 batches so far) and I was thinking about naturally carbing a batch.

When you do this, does the yeast get sucked out on the first pull from the keg? The last pull? EVERY PULL?

Can anyone chime in?

Thank you!

First pint or two sounds about right. Until you bump the keezer, that is.

Any time I've had a naturally carbed keg, I've found that you basically can't touch it once you've hooked it up. The first couple, like I mentioned, are fairly nasty and just go down the sink, and after that, they're okay. But touch the keg, move it, then the beer is cloudy with crud for a couple of days until it all settles back out.

Best to put it on gas and force carb it. Slide it into your keezer, wait a day or two for it to get to temp, then put it on 12psi and let it sit for a week or so. First pint slurps out most of your remaining sediment, from then on, you're fine.

*waves hands and speaks in mysterious voice*

Secondaries are your friiiiieeeeeend!

Well when force carbing I haven't had any yeast in my beer.

Yes I KNOW there is always some yeast in suspension but I usually primary for 3 weeks, and then secondary for 2 more and treat the beer with Gelatin. After that my beer is crystal clear and I've never had any sediment in my kegs.

So I was just wondering how much sediment I can expect to pull when naturally carbing my keg.

Even with force carbing you're going to have yeast. Unless you filter.

Yep. Even the clearest beer (like my lagers) have some yeast still in suspension. Unless you filter, it'll be there.

Well when force carbing I haven't had any yeast in my beer.

Yes I KNOW there is always some yeast in suspension but I usually primary for 3 weeks, and then secondary for 2 more and treat the beer with Gelatin. After that my beer is crystal clear and I've never had any sediment in my kegs.

So I was just wondering how much sediment I can expect to pull when naturally carbing my keg.

Maybe you don't have yeast in your beer, but what about at the bottom of the keg when the beer is gone? I don't believe you have NO sediment in the kegs, unless it's mixed up with the beer when you drink it. I always have a little bit in there- that's normal.

With naturally carbing, it should be just about the same. Not really much more, but if you let it sit after chilling it and putting it on the gas, you'll get most of the yeast out in the first ounce or two.

Been priming kegs with table sugar for quite awhile now. The amount of yeast is so little that I seldom bother with dumping out even the first pint. Give it a try!

Back