Paint thinner and Mash Tun Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 10 gallon all grain system that consists of two plastic Igloo coolers. When I went to clean it out I noticed that there was a band of some sort of adhesive mid way in the mash tun. I spent the better part of three hours trying to clean it all out with Ivory Soap and a sponge. I have yet to get it all out. What I did get clean revealed some scratches in the walls and bottom of the mash tun. They are not gouges mind you, but, as a new all gain brewer I have to say that I am somewhat concerned about this with regards to sanitization.
I contacted the Brewing store in Denver where I bought it and the man on the phone told me that he does not know what the adhesive is and suggested that I use paint thinner to remove the adhesive, and then use the Ivory Soap to wash it out. I am wondering just how good of an idea this actually is or is not? Additionally, he told me that the scratches in the mash tun were not really an since they will be holding hot liquid. Won't it be relevant after I brew? I have read and was told that once a food grade plastic container gets scratched it is time to toss it. He told me the Gott/Igloo coolers are virtually indestructible. Is this correct?

TIA,
Zman

As long as it is all pre boil liquid that will be in the coolers, i wouldn't worry too much about the scratches, they might stain over time, but no biggie. During the biol the 60+ min of 212F water will kill any nasties.

Maybe try one of the orange essence cleaners on the adhesive (goo gone, orange clean) or let it have a nice hot oxyclean soak. Either way make sure you rinse it well.

Are you worried about the scratches harboring bacteria? If so, you shouldn't- because the mash is preboil. As long as the MLT is clean 'to the eye', RDWHAHB.

:mug:

Cool...Thanks for the advice. I think I will go with the Oxy Clean as I believe it is unscented. What is a good soak time with Oxy Clean? Should I use boiling water or just really hot water from the tap? Do any of you prefer the Oxy Clean over a Citrus based Cleaner? I have not had a bad batch of homebrew in a really long time and I am looking to keep that streak going.

Oxy-clean is actually on the top preferred brewing cleaners for homebrewers. DO NOT USE BOILING WATER, it will melt your cooler, and there is no need. I believe 150-170 or so is the ideal range for oxy-clean. And the package says 6 hours, but you can leave it for as long as you want really, just make sure to rinse thoroughly with COLD water.

Don't use boiling in the MLT- you can warp the bejeezus out of them that way. Hot water and Oxyclean for a good overnight soak. Just make sure you rinse well.

Paint thinner, ivory soap...hell no!

If I had a sticky residue, I'd try peanut butter...then remove the oily residue w/ pbw or oxiclean.

Paint thinner stinks, not quite as bad a diesel.

Mike

Latest posts

Back