Stupid Wednesday holiday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Come on, be honest. It's a day off today (for most of us, and a big thanks to everyone who is working today), but it feels like a rip off. It feels like having an extra Sunday in the middle of the week. I think I'd rather work today and have TOMORROW off. The fireworks are at 9:00pm here.

What time do they do the fireworks where you guys live?

Yeah, I keep thinking I'm going to be off tomorrow, too...then wham! Reality bites.

Our fireworks are at 9:30 (you get a break, being so far east in your time zone), but it looks like they're gonna get rained out. And no reschedule, which is weird. What are they gonna do with all the fireworks?

EDIT: Cheese, you go down to the fireworks in the city? Awesome show. Caught it a few times from a boat on the lake...fireworks over that skyline, hard to beat...

my boss is out of town this week, and I don't have much to do at work. I'm thinking of "telecommuting" for a 5 day weekend.

At minimum, I'm taking off friday. Kegs and new ingredients are arriving then and I don't want to wait until saturday to start playing with new toys.

about 9:30 here also. Taking my brisket to a friends house when She Who Makes Beer Often gets off at 6:30....friggin network support jobs

I don't think there are any fireworks planned here. Kind of a small town, on a small budget. They're running an "Old Fashioned 4th" street fair. 95F and bright sun. The high point is the arm-wrestling contest. Watching a bunch of big, sweaty things grunt at each other. Not my idea of fun. The men are worse (you knew that was coming).

I went down, got a piece of blueberry pie and checked out the classic cars; then back to the A/C.

I was planning on fetching a chest freezer & starting the new kegger, but way too hot.

My company decided to take Friday off instead of today, instead of trying to work hung over people on Thursday. It will be great when I get to the 3 day weekend compared to my normal 1 day weekend, but it sucked working all day today. But as you can tell I not working that hard since I'm posting on here.

We got our crew to vote on moving the holiday to friday so we worked today. We get a three day on the weekend. We also got some hung over dudes this morning:drunk:

Meh, what day off? 6am - 9am this morning, then since some kid quit and none of the part timers stepped up to the plate to pick up the hours (and since I make the schedule I WILL remember that) 6 to 9 tonight running the Cards/D'Backs game.

No biggie tho, I saw fireworks Sunday...

The real time off begins tomorrow evening when SWMBO and the youngest head out of town for the weekend to return Sunday... (did I say that out loud? ;) :D )

Ize

I had to work also, but I can't complain when it's triple time. :D

That's one drawback of working in a factory that runs 24/7/365.

I love having a Wednesday off. At a previous job, we were allowed to work 4 10's and take a day 'off' during the summer. I always took Wednesdays because it was like every work day was a Thursday or Friday.

homebrewer_99 said:
First off, the 4th is NOT a holiday. It's a day off from work, but it is no where near a holiday.

Holiday comes from HOLY DAY.

Independence from Great Britain is not holy...so enjoy the freebie! :D :rockin:

Um....really?
Because, as I see it, there are three entries that come before any mention of religion or holy; the first entry sayeth:

A day fixed by law or custom on which ordinary business is suspended in commemoration of some event or in honor of some person.

One time in college, I had this nerdlinger english lit teacher who was into comics and scifi and had a pony tail and was overweight (he was the closest anyone has ever come in real life to the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons). Cool guy most of the time, but one day, someone sprayed graffiti on the stone pedestal in front of Burruss hall (I'm sure all you guys saw it on the neverending Tech Massacre Media Spree), and the school newspaper wrote an article that referred to it as "vandalism". Oh, well, Mr. Comic Book Guy wrote a scathing editorial in the paper, scolding the staff for offending the Vandals, which were historically not known for graffiti, etc., and that "vandalism" is historically inaccurate and offensive.

I'm serious. He did that. And he was very serious, too! :drunk:

Don't be that guy...:p

Dude said:
Try sleeping from 7-10 PM on the fourth of July like I had to. I had to be into work at 11, so I got zero sleep before my shift. It was a LOOOONG night.
Now that sucks! Sounds like a wasted holiday for you. Here's to making up for it some day...:mug:

Dude said:
Try sleeping from 7-10 PM on the fourth of July like I had to. I had to be into work at 11, so I got zero sleep before my shift. It was a LOOOONG night.

That's why I sleep in the mornings on my graveyard shifts. BTW how were you planning on managing on only 3 hours of sleep anyway?

Flyin' Lion said:
That's why I sleep in the mornings on my graveyard shifts. BTW how were you planning on managing on only 3 hours of sleep anyway?

Well, I always sleep a little in the mornings, but I can't go past noon--in fact it is usually 11 when I'm wide awake. So I always take a "super power nap" a few hours before my shift. I've had that routine for 15 years now.

And I don't manage anything....I'm a peon!

I feel for you Dude. I did rotating shift work for two years strait. Trying to sleep for the midshift was next to impossible. In addition to the noise in my house, I had the neighbors and was in the flight path of the Naval Air Station where I worked (EA-6B Prowlers, which are freaking loud).

I remember driving to and from work with the windows rolled down and the radio blasting in the middle of winter just to make sure I didn't fall asleep behind the wheel.

Get some rest whenever you have a chance.

I would rather have July 5th off! That way you wouldn't have to worry about limiting your beer intake on the 4th!

Back