Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't take any pictures but I made by far the best spare ribs I've ever made yesterday. Was a windy day and I was concerned about keeping temps up in my WSM but leaving the vent closed on the side the wind was coming from and the other two wide open left me with a constant 230 degrees.

Smoked a ~8 lb turkey breast this afternoon.

004_zpsyuq852w0.jpg

No pics but smoked a rack of baby backs today. First time in a while. Good to break it out again.

Just put together my Louisiana Grills Pellet cooker last night. I'm booked the next two nights, but plan on spending most of the day Saturday cooking away. Haven't decided on what to do yet, but I'm thinking a pork shoulder since they are usually pretty forgiving and I don't know the cooker yet. I'll post back this weekend.

So I'm going to do an 11 lb turkey tomorrow. I've learned that too much "smoke" can be a bad thing. Probably personal preference, so let's go with that.
My question is: given an approximate total time of +\- 5-6 hours, non spatched, how long should I do the smoking part vs just the just plain cooking? I'm thinking only the first 2 hours maybe? More experienced weigh in please?

I seasoned up a brisket for my WSM tomorrow AM. Ribs a little later in the AM.

So I'm going to do an 11 lb turkey tomorrow. I've learned that too much "smoke" can be a bad thing. Probably personal preference, so let's go with that.
My question is: given an approximate total time of +\- 5-6 hours, non spatched, how long should I do the smoking part vs just the just plain cooking? I'm thinking only the first 2 hours maybe? More experienced weigh in please?

I've found that poultry does better hot and fast. I typically do a 12-14lb turkey at 325-350 for 3-3.5hrs. I also tend to ice the breasts for 10min or so prior to putting it on the smoker. This seems to help getting the dark meat done without drying out the white meat.

I've found that poultry does better hot and fast. I typically do a 12-14lb turkey at 325-350 for 3-3.5hrs. I also tend to ice the breasts for 10min or so prior to putting it on the smoker. This seems to help getting the dark meat done without drying out the white meat.

I've done both the bird in the grill the entire time and only the first 90min, then pan and foil for the rest. Both seemed to work, the second might have been moister and was easier to make gravy.

Edit: good old hbt app double posting.

I do poultry at baking temps. Use a thermometer as it seems to cook quicker and as a result is jucier. Use a milder smoke like apple wood, poultry soaks up smoke almost too easily. It is definitely worth doing though.

Oh and to answer the question. I just throw a few chunks of apple on for the beginning of the smoke. Once they are gone that's it.

I dont think any turkey I have ever smoked has taken 5 or 6 hours either

Agree with others. Poultry is a sponge for smoke. A few chunks and the residual smoke from charcoal is plenty.
The biggest issue I have always had is keeping a WSM at those high of temperatures. A Guru is an investment in the future for me.
By far the best turkey I have ever had was brined overnight then smoked.

The 5-6 hours was based on lower temps, but I'll try the higher. I spatchcocked the chickens I've done, so I'll try AZ's recommendation for doing that with the turkey too. I'll post pics as I go. Thanks all!

Agree with others. Poultry is a sponge for smoke. A few chunks and the residual smoke from charcoal is plenty.
The biggest issue I have always had is keeping a WSM at those high of temperatures. A Guru is an investment in the future for me.
By far the best turkey I have ever had was brined overnight then smoked.

Turn the door upside down and prop it open with your charcoal starter. It'll add a lot more air and keep your temps higher.

I place a skewer between the center section and lid to get higher temps.

So didn't get a pic of the final result, but color wise looked great. I couldn't get my temps to stabilize much above 260 with charcoal alone, so it took longer, and dried her out a bit. Flavor was good, just a bit dry. Have to figure out how to get those temps up. I have a cheapy smoker/grill combo, and the fire box is only about 1' square so.... Ideas? The open door thing maybe?

I did 14lb turkey in the bge as my wife didn't want ham. Injected a chicken stock and melted butter mixture and iced the breasts for 10min. Then it went on at 300 and held between 340-355 for eight about 3.25 hrs.

The only downside to doing the bird "naked" the entire time is there's no drippings for gravy, but a simple chicken stock based gravy worked.

Back