dry hopping in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyt471

Reaction score
OK, so I'm going to make a double IPA, and the instructions say to dry hop using leaf hops in a bag by putting it in the secondary and siphoning on top of it. Should I do this for two weeks and then bottle? I thought that for an IPA I should be leaving it in the secondary for at least a month, but I also read that you shouldn't dry hop for more than two weeks because it will create a weird grassy flavor. So should I just dry hop in the secondary for two weeks and then bottle?

Then just do it for you last week of your month long secondary. Or you could do what many of us do these days, skip secondary altogether, leave it in primary for a month, and dry hop for the last week of that timeframe.

I dry hop all my IPA's and I only leave it in secondary for two weeks. They come out great everytime. I month seems like a long time to dry hop.

Sorry - I'm a noob, but I have a question! I'm looking to possibly make a double Ipa as well - and when you say "syphon on top of it" what does that exactly mean? thanks for all the help!

what i mean is after leaving the wort in the primary fermenter for a week, i would transfer it then into the secondary fermenter (the carboy). first i would drop the hop bag in the carboy, then transfer the beer into the carboy (using an auto-siphon, or a racking cane, whichever you have).

My local store told me I could just throw the hops in the secondary without the bag, and siphon around them is that good advice?

That is how I do it. Some like to use the bags as they find it easier to separate in the end. But I think siphoning works great. Use the tips on the end of your siphon to ensure chunks don't make it through.

The only thing I use my hop bag for is to cover my racking cane when I transfer from my secondary -- it acts as a great filter if you're just planning on tossing in either leaf or pellet hops.

Back