Best Hops to Grow in Tennessee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNA3172

Reaction score
I am going to attempt growing hops at home in the spring and was wondering what varieties work best in TN climate. Any suggestions?

No I am in Middle TN.

Almost any would probably work. If you go to greatlakeshops you can look through the different kinds they grow and see which hops like certain types of soil.

Most people grow hops based on what they like. If you want hops for bittering you might want to go with one of the ctz varieties. If you want more aroma try one of the noble varieties.

If you want a popular hop go with cascade.

Some hops are dual purpose both bittering and aroma.. that might also be a good option.

You can amend your soil but if you don't want to having a soil test done is a good idea to know what kind of soil you are working with and choosing the hop that does well in your soil. Although that being said I don't know anyone who has perfect soil and some amending will likely have to be done.

Good Luck.

They are doing hop testing here in Raleigh, NC - pretty similar climate. All of the big american hops seem to be viable. Most of the old world varieties (noble, golding etc) don't seem as well suited.

This is my first year growing hops. I planted Cascade and Columbus. Both grew up and over the top of a 12 ft support. The cascade had more problems with bugs etc but that could just be a fluke. Both produced some usable cones in the first year. About a half oz from the cascade and 1.5oz from the columbus.

Hops need around 30 total days of freezing temperatures in the off season to go dormant and come back again in the spring. You could probably get away with less but your yield may suffer. Also you should get a soil test (agricultural not a lawn test) on the ground you plan to plant them in. Your local extension office should have the kits. This will give you a starting point in terms of what the soil pH is, NPK content and micro nutrient content. Based on your soil test results you can work to adjust your pH level and decide if you need any fertilizer. If you get a soil test, there should be a box for "next crop grown" where you can mark in HOPS, so when the results come back they usually contain fertilization rate recommendations based on the next crop to be grown. If "HOPS" is not an option, check "CORN" it has a similar N uptake.

Jason

Back