dry hopping with pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB Bill's answer was like a woman's skirt should be: Long enough to cover the topic, but short enough to keep it interesting. Maybe one caveat would be that when you do dry hop with pellets, they quickly turn into a bunch of hop flakes floating around the bottom. You probably want to cover the intake of your racking cane/autosiphon with a mesh bag when you transfer out. Some people avoid this step by putting the hop pellets in a mesh hop bag and then tossing it into secondary.

Is there a general rule on how long it takes dryhopping in secondary to full extract the most out of the pellets?

Excellent effect can be had in as little as a few days. Seven days is generally sufficient, though most recommend two weeks. If you use more hops, you can take less time, and vice versa.

I recommend two weeks in order to permit the particulate matter sufficient time to settle out.

+1,947 to the screen on the racking-cane input! :)

Bob

I've used one of these. I don't remember how many pellets it held. But I think they are available in different sizes. But, you could always use more than one.

AC312.jpg

Back