I was robbed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
Well, sorta...Tuesday is trash day in these here parts. So Monday night I put out the trash. Hadn't done the glass recycling in a few weeks so I had a full tub of beer bottles and other assorted glass products. Left for work this morning and as I'm getting on my bike I notice the damn tub is empty except say for a random wine bottle, applesauce jar, etc.

Is the economy that tough or do I have a HB'er in my hood I don't know about!
:drunk::rockin::tank:

I saw my neighbor at 2:30am taking the beer bottles out of my recycling bin. Not sure if he’s a home brewer or a recycler. I want to approach him and ask if he brews but don’t know how to do it (Hay, saw you looking through my trash last night…no)

I do it too... In corvallis (damn parking at OSU is rediculous so it's a long walk to school from the closest free parking spot... spy bottles sometimes and don't hesitate to grab em outta the recycling bin...)

I used to leave my aluminum separate for an old guy who would go down the street digging in the bins; It's not being robbed, they're just being re-appropriated :)

I left an old microwave on the bin for the recycling collection. Overnight it got taken.
The next day it was back minus the plug!

Now THAT is funny!

Amazing huh? That the person would actually go so far as to take the appliance BACk to the original bin rather than set it on their own curb.

We have a free large item trash pick up twice a year. The big one is in August when the students are moving. People drive around in trucks and grab stuff they might find useful. I put out an old microwave last year and it was gone by morning. It does help to keep things out of the landfill.

Now what is a bit spooky is people will pick up old mattresses that even an undergrad has deemed too nasty. I'm highly suspicious some of these mattress grabbers are landlords who them use them in their rental units. Even nastier couches too.

I like being able to re-use what others throw out. My wife hates it, but I've gotten some nice tools, a rolling dolly, workbenches etc. Maybe if I tell her it is environmentally friendly she won't think of it as low class.

I call it "scrounging". My wife is also not that into it, but you'd be surprised at what peopel will throw out that works fine, or only needs a handyman's touch. I found a carpet shampooer that had a chipped front end. Other than that (and it was missing the attachment for hand cleaning) it worked fine.

Ever since the city went from twice a year, to once a month though, grabbing stuff out of the "crap on the curb day" has gone downhill. Used to find tons of good stuff.

Last good thing I got was two brewing buckets. One was an official "Ale Pail".

This happens every week at my house. For awhile a kid was taking the bottles and getting the return money, then buying/sending supplies to a village in Africa. He used to leave notes on the bin detailing his progress. Kinda cool.

Back in my college days the bums used to take anything that had a 5 cent deposit on it out of the recycling. Hell all the frats used to just throw all of their cans and bottles on the front lawn Thurs night and they would all be gone Friday Morning.

I don't see this around here, but then I have to drive 20 miles to the dump. It's easier than dragging a trash bin a mile to the real street. Last place I lived, the city would give people fines for taking recyclables out of the bins.

I left an old microwave on the bin for the recycling collection. Overnight it got taken.
The next day it was back minus the plug!

That's awesome. These damned US appliances don't have re-usable plugs on 'em! I still have a handful of UK plugs from the move. You know, in case they become useful someday! :mug:

Now what is a bit spooky is people will pick up old mattresses that even an undergrad has deemed too nasty. I'm highly suspicious some of these mattress grabbers are landlords who them use them in their rental units. Even nastier couches too.

Believe it or not, these get recycled... Some more legally than others...

Back